Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-30T19:28:25+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-30T18:10:15+00:00

    Hi,

    Could you be more specific? How do we get this new unit? Is this new unit only the screen or the whole SF4?

    Refurb surface 4. “Our of warranty repair” $400

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-30T17:58:37+00:00

    Hi,

    Could you be more specific? How do we get this new unit? Is this new unit only the screen or the whole SF4?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-30T16:55:44+00:00

    Surface Support team is going to call me this week, I have already provided the necessary details. Hope they will be able to figure out the problem and fix it ASAP. I will keep this thread updated with the details from the surface support team here. 

    Any update,  my SP 4 just facing the same screen flickering,  have done whatever been told to do,  ie, remove windows Error Report, Problems report and solutions, icloud appl etc

    Problem still persists after an hour or so.  Shut down and let it cool for a while, the flickering stops when power up,  but will appear after an hour or two

    So, good to share whether the surface support team able to resolve this frustrating flickering problem

    Good news. Not only will they fix, theyll give you a new unit........for $400.

    sign our petition https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-microsoft-surface-pro-4-screen-flickering-or-blurry?recruiter=845560982&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_sms_responsive

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments