Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-24T05:27:42+00:00

    wah this group is getting bigger and last for almost 1 year already!!!

    its not even a group just a respond of one question in Microsoft support page hahaha

    Maybe we should do gathering sometime hahaha

    anyone wants to visit Seoul?

    don't forget to bring your surface 4 with you ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-24T05:08:09+00:00

    I have had this problem intermittently for half a year.  Since the flickering stops immediately when I move the mouse, I tried a 'weird trick' that seems to have worked.  There is a registry edit that adds seconds to the taskbar clock display.  The constantly changing seconds display seems to have the same effect as the moving mouse -- it keeps the video drivers updating and stops the flickering.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-23T07:31:14+00:00

    I've been using my surface pro 4 with this issue for quite a few months now. Talked to Microsoft and got a solution of 400$ replacement, posted on flickergate and also tweeted about it. Since there's no fix for this, I've started living with it. Here's what I do. Usually my surface starts flickering after 1-1.5 hrs of continuous use, so whenever even for few minutes I am not using my surface I switch of its screen (I've assigned the power button as 'Turn off display' function for my ease). Now when I am using my surface, after half and hour or so I switch off its display for few minutes, like a break for me and my surface. By doing so I get 3-4 hrs of use and also whenever surface starts to flicker, I switch off my display then and there. I don't want to aggravate this issue.

    Also I've read that lowering the resolution reduces stress on GPU so less heat generation, don't know whether lowering the screen resolution will work? Of course doing so will reduce our surface's screen size, but what better if it prolongs the occurring time of this issue. I will be using my surface by reducing  its screen resolution, lets see whether it helps. 

    Can't afford to buy a new laptop, so will be using surface by adjusting to it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-22T16:49:40+00:00

    Use the social media to get their attention.

    https://twitter.com/flickergate

    www.flickergate.com

    Got Microsoft support over the phone and the answer was a very polite **** and pay 500€ to get another (3rd) refurbished Surface that will do the same **** in 18 months.

    Maybe the number of people affected by this commenting on their twitter, instagram and facebook might awake them to take care of this case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments