Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-06T15:34:28+00:00

    There was no official acknowledgement of the issue anywhere...(If am missing let me know)

    There was no ETA

    People saying they are buying their own LCD's etc.,

    So figured I should clarify that Microsoft acknowledges the issue.

    when did they aknowledge it, and what's their thinking ? 

    if it's hardware, it will cost me more than a replacement LCD from china

    if it's software, sure I'll wait... but not for months though ... 

    can you quote their official message?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-06T15:32:05+00:00

    There was no official acknowledgement of the issue anywhere...(If am missing let me know)

    There was no ETA

    People saying they are buying their own LCD's etc.,

    So figured I should clarify that Microsoft acknowledges the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-06T15:28:50+00:00

    Microsoft is aware of this issue as far as i am hearing and they are investigating this.

    Drivers, LCD, cooling system lot of factots appeared to be involved, for now i live with it, i dont keep the screen and look at for so long, i usually play videos or do some action, so i can bear it, am hoping it will be fixed soon.

    But i brought microsoft attention to this issue, i have on going thread with them, its being noticed that's all i can say for now.

    How could they possible not be aware of it. The thread has been open for almost a year. Or do you think that they don't bother to look at what is going on in the community they host on microsoft.com?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-06T14:43:54+00:00

    Microsoft is aware of this issue as far as i am hearing and they are investigating this.

    Drivers, LCD, cooling system lot of factots appeared to be involved, for now i live with it, i dont keep the screen and look at for so long, i usually play videos or do some action, so i can bear it, am hoping it will be fixed soon.

    But i brought microsoft attention to this issue, i have on going thread with them, its being noticed that's all i can say for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments