Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T09:41:06+00:00

    I chat with microsoft online support just now, they said I have to pay RM2k for out of warranty replacement, and there is no way I can get a free replacement... 

    I think maybe you are extremely lucky... will try my luck to post on MS FB page ask for help also

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T09:09:43+00:00

    you can try post on microsoft facebook page asking for help like 

    SC

    sckh_sp4 mentioned

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T08:45:59+00:00

    OK, I will try to message microsoft FB, thanks for the reply, this is very helpful

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T08:40:06+00:00

    do you mean microsoft support email or the shop I purchased from which is Senheng Electric?

    I mean this Arvato Digital Services Pte Lt, the guy who helped me is working under this company.

    Arhhh... I also brought from SenHeng, i went to their employee before emailing the above company. SenHeng said they will have to take my SP4 and send to Microsoft, that is why i straight went to other solution as this is my only device...

    Oh ya ya, SenHeng jog my memory back, before this guy email me, i did messaged to Microsoft Malaysia's Facebook page, they replied "We have escalated your concern to our team. Please wait for their feedback within 24-48 business hours." Provided by giving them my name, phone number and email address, and the screenshot of screen jumping/shaking.

    I hope this help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments