Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T08:33:21+00:00

    No idea. I am so piss with Microsoft now. 

    Microsoft just lost a business for a unit of Surface as I just refuse a customer request to purchase a surface. I don't need my customer to come back to me in near future that they are having problem with that piece of expensive ****.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T08:29:52+00:00

    I think the reason is because in the US you can sue Microsoft for million of dollar and they are scare of that especially if later find out is their hardware defective issue.

    Out of US, nothing much we can do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T08:29:23+00:00

    I just off the phone with Microsoft Support. 

    I been having screen flickering problem since around May 2017 after I did a windows update. 

    Alone the way Microsoft Support offer to replace my surface but seeing how people still having the same problem after replacement, no point.

    Other than that Microsoft never really provide any solution for the problem. Disable Hyper V and etc dont solve my problem.

    After that somehow after many trial and error of whatever solution I can get, the problem no longer appear for me. 

    Then now with warranty over, after a windows update last week, the problem start coming back and Mircosoft Support reply is my warranty over, so i should be happy they did not charge me service charge. So i assume now their solution is to drag till warranty is over instead of really solving your problem.

    So no more Microsoft surface or whatever Microsoft hardware product for me. Not even the keyboard or mouse which I purchase and the mouse after few months of use, the left click did not function properly and even after I get replacement, same problem happen after  while. 

    So if you are willing to pay for an expensive Microsoft device that cost a big lump sum only to have it replace after a year (not to mention may require replacement within that one year), please go ahead. 

    I need to talk with their agent as I am far from any service centre. Is there any mailing address where I can put my number or mail address?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T08:25:25+00:00

    I just off the phone with Microsoft Support. 

    I been having screen flickering problem since around May 2017 after I did a windows update. 

    Alone the way Microsoft Support offer to replace my surface but seeing how people still having the same problem after replacement, no point.

    Other than that Microsoft never really provide any solution for the problem. Disable Hyper V and etc dont solve my problem.

    After that somehow after many trial and error of whatever solution I can get, the problem no longer appear for me. 

    Then now with warranty over, after a windows update last week, the problem start coming back and Mircosoft Support reply is my warranty over, so i should be happy they did not charge me service charge. So i assume now their solution is to drag till warranty is over instead of really solving your problem.

    So no more Microsoft surface or whatever Microsoft hardware product for me. Not even the keyboard or mouse which I purchase and the mouse after few months of use, the left click did not function properly and even after I get replacement, same problem happen after  while. 

    So if you are willing to pay for an expensive Microsoft device that cost a big lump sum only to have it replace after a year (not to mention may require replacement within that one year), please go ahead. 

    By the way, I read from an article that Microsoft manage to come up with a solution in new driver update HD Graphics 520 Driver update v20.19.15.4308. That is a fake new according to Microsoft Support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments