Surface Pro Flex Keyboard Charging issues

Anonymous
2024-08-16T00:45:19+00:00

I've seen multiple other posts on this, but I'm confused as to Microsoft doesn't issue an update.

I have the new Surface Pro 11, with the Flex Keyboard. The keyboard does NOT charge when I attach the keyboard to the device when the device is not plugged into a charger.

The keyboard does NOT charge when the deviced is plugged into a charger, and the keyboard is closed (sleep mode).

It only charges (and even this is sporatic) when the keyboard is attached and the device is plugged into a charger. Sometimes it will charge, other times it will not. I have yet to find a pattern, but that is the only time it will charge (and that is still only about 1/2 of the time).

I have tried all the basic trouble shooting (cleaing the connectors, ESC key for 5 seconds to turn off keyboard, updated all firmware). This is obviously an issue that Microsoft is ignoring.

Any ideas would be welcome, but my thought is that it just doesn't charge like it's supposed to, and nothing is really going to change that...

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-18T09:54:12+00:00

    I am using the FlexKeyboard as main keyboard, attached and not attached. It is a great keyboard and offering some long-wanted flexibility for my workflow as illustrator. During a full day use, from one day to another, the battery loses about 30%, no matter if attached or not. Hence, I use it detached most of the time.

    But, dear Microsoft, the charging procedure can be simplified, please.

    To start charging, it usually needs a trigger as it will NOT charge automatically when connected: pressing the ESC button until the Fn LED is blinking and the pen LED is glowing. But - unfortunately - it is not really straightforward, as there are still three possibilities:

    • sometimes it will start charging
    • of not, I need to detach the keyboard, press the ESC key and attach again,
    • if not, I need to restart the Surface Pro after the detach procedure.

    The Surface itself hat to be in the following status:

    • fully charged or charging, as the keyboard will only charge to the level of the Surface
    • the keyboard lid has to be open
    • charging the Surface via surface connector or USB-C has no impact. The keyboard will always charge.

    When charging, it does 15% in about 10 min.

    Please note, when at a level of <20%, it starts to unload rather quickly, so better start charging.

    If the battery level is 0%, it still can be used, but only attached. The keyboard firmware has not changed in the last months: 10.10.139

    P.S.
    Despite those charging confusions I like it. As illustrator, I use the Surface line for drawing. But Photoshop, which is my major drawing app, demands for using a keyboard in addition which I can move aside to better draw on the screen. Left hand, I control the keyboard, right hand I draw. In the past, I used three keyboards: a bigger bluetooth keyboard in my office, the surface keyboard when travelling and another foldable bluetooth keyboard when drawing outside of the office. All keyboards had different layouts and made it more difficult to use. Now I just use the FlexKeyboard.
    Also, when running seminars, I love using the detached FlexKeyboard to control my Surface from distance. But, as I said before, the charging procedure should be simplified...

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-16T09:22:55+00:00

    Hi Murray,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    I'm Hahn and I'm here to help you with your concern.

    It sounds like you've already done a lot of the right troubleshooting steps. The Surface Pro Flex Keyboard charging issue you describe appears to be the same issue reported by users in some communities.

    Since this seems to be an ongoing problem, I have submitted this issue for you through internal channels. In addition, you can also submit your problem through the Feedback Hub (if convenient, please provide as much detail as possible, including pictures, repro videos, etc.).

    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app - Microsoft Support

    Please share the feedback link after submitting, I will submit your feedback to the relevant team for investigation through internal channels.

    Your Sincerely

    Hahn. W - MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-24T19:01:22+00:00

    I wound up just selling my Surface Pro and Flex Keyboard. Nobody at Microsoft made any effort to help or solve this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-01T22:21:55+00:00

    You have every right to do so. I'd even consider sending back the entire bundle, including the surface pro itself, to be an appropriate reaction.

    Especally taking into account, that I bought the surface after microsoft already knew the problem exists.

    However, I would rather not send anything back yet, since I find myself in need for the device to work. I already gave my old laptop away and I do have a deadline coming up.

    In addition to that, the consept is still very appealing to me (although this charging issue nullifies the benefits for now).

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-01T21:51:01+00:00

    Agreed. In addition to the battery issue the Flex keyboard also randomly becomes unresponsive. Very frustrating and unacceptable.+

    Ed

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments