Ditto to all you and the others said. The battery issue is a pain. In my experience, the keyboard ONLY charges when: (a) the Surface Pro is on; and (b) the Surface Pro is connected to the Surface Charger. When I turn off the Surface Pro, I cannot get the keyboard to charge even if the Surface Pro is connected to and stored with the charger on. The SP stays charged, but the keyboard power just trickles down.
As to the issue of it becoming unresponsive, one thing I have found is that it goes to sleep after a short period and is unresponsive. To "wake it up," I have had success by hitting the "windows" key. After I tap that key, the rest of the keyboard wakes up.
Another problem I had was with the trackpad. I could not get it to scroll on pages using two fingers. MS Support did help me resolve that. Here is what they did (after doing the usual to make sure I had all the updates): (1) Close all important stuff and save your open documents, etc.; (2) Open Task Manager (using ctrl-alt-del or whatever method you wish); (3) Click on the "Processes" tab (tabs on left) if it is not already selected (it is normally the default tab selected); (c) Go to the bottom of the list of processes until you see the folder for "Windows Explorer"; (d) click on "Windows Explorer"; (e) on the upper bar, click on "restart task"; (f) hold down the power button until the screen goes completely black (that hard re-starts everything); (g) wait 30 seconds; (h) turn the computer back on. At least for me, that re-set of whatever got re-set made it where scrolling with the trackpad worked again.
Ugh on the battery issue.