Smart Charging option disappeared from Surface app

Anonymous
2024-03-25T06:07:47+00:00

I am using a Surface Laptop Studio (model 12964 i7). My smart charging is working and the battery is recharging to 80% - icon over the battery is there. When I travel I have been going into the Surface app and changing the charge to 100% option that always used to pop up once I went in the app. Recently when going into the app there is no longer the 'smart charging' option so I am unable to change the setting and charge to full. the surface app version is 61.24020.115.0. I have tried reinstalling the surface app but its still not showing up.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-13T16:34:08+00:00

Updated 9/9/2024

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are actively investigating. While we are investigating and if the "Battery & charging" option is missing in the Surface app, please update the Surface app to newest version 74.8150.129.0 or later which is available in the Microsoft Store app. To update the Surface app, open the Microsoft Store app, select Downloads, select Get Updates.

If you still are not able to see the "Battery & charging" option and you are running version 74.8150.129.0 or later, try to reset the Surface app by clicking the Windows Start menu, click Settings. Within Windows Settings, click Apps, click Installed apps and then for the Surface app click "...", select Advanced options, click the Reset button in the Reset section.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility while we are investigating.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-06T21:18:09+00:00

    Updated 9/9/2024

    Thank you for reporting this issue. We are actively investigating. While we are investigating and if the "Battery & charging" option is missing in the Surface app, please update the Surface app to newest version 74.8150.129.0 or later which is available in the Microsoft Store app. To update the Surface app, open the Microsoft Store app, select Downloads, select Get Updates.

    If you still are not able to see the "Battery & charging" option and you are running version 74.8150.129.0 or later, try to reset the Surface app by clicking the Windows Start menu, click Settings. Within Windows Settings, click Apps, click Installed apps and then for the Surface app click "...", select Advanced options, click the Reset button in the Reset section.

    Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility while we are investigating.

    I'm on version 75.1090.118.0 on my Surface (model: MMD0F0039A23020) and I reset its settings as directed. Still can't see battery options to turn off smart charging.

    Sure is happy to try to sell me stuff though. All the ads work. /s

    Update 2025-02-10: I needed this to work because I'm going on a business trip, out of desperation, I logged out of the Surface app and it immediately gave me the option to turn off smart charging. So maybe it was my company's policy not allowing me to turn it off?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-02T12:32:41+00:00

    I can also confirm there is no Smart Charging option in Surface app for Laptop 5 at version 61.24040.83.0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T13:55:36+00:00

    Hello,

    We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com).

    Thank you for understanding. 

    Kind regards,

    Lavenia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-25T14:20:13+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

    I understand that you’re experiencing an issue with the smart charging feature on your Surface device.

    Just to clarify, do you mean your Surface doesn't charge beyond 80% as smart charging is enabled, however, the option to charge to 100% in the Surface app is missing? (Correct me if i'm wrong)

    Would you mind sharing a screenshot of what shows in the Surface app?

    Also, please provide us the build version of Windows your device is currently running?

    The smart charging feature on Surface devices is always active and turns on automatically when it detects your device is plugged in for prolonged periods or used at elevated temperatures. It cannot be activated manually. The device will be the one that activates it automatically once it detects that it needs to activate smart charging and limit battery charging to 80%.

    For more information, see Smart charging on Surface - Microsoft Support.

    Kind regards,

    Lavenia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments