Surface Screen has red and yellow burn marks and is now separating from frame

Anonymous
2017-10-16T01:55:25+00:00

I first noticed the problem as yellow and red marks like burns down the edge of the screen about 3 weeks ago (end Sep 2017).  There then appeared similar marks along the top.  The marks are approx. 3cm long.

The surface screen is now separating from the frame on the top 1/3 on the right hand side.  This space is approximately 0.5cm.

From reading the various forums it appears that it's related to gluing and heat generated by the screen.

I contacted Microsoft customer service today (16 Oct 2017) and have been told that the problem is being escalated to Level 3.

As I bought the surface laptop in Dec 2015, I have been told its out of warranty so they can do nothing.

Customer Service Reference Number: **********

I have never had this type of problem with any other laptop/tablet I have bought or used ranging from ultra portable, desk top replacement and of course corporate laptops.

Build, design or what problem?  I don't expect all my windows to fall out of my car after 2 years even if I am driving in Singapore ;-D

Hope this helps others understand what could be happening and also keeping my fingers crossed I get it fixed gratis.

**Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.**

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-21T01:08:44+00:00

I was fortunate in that they agreed to replace the machine.  Though I think the person dealing with it gave really good customer service.  I got the laptop in the UK and now live in Singapore (surface book not here??).  So the arrangement was to send it to a UK address and then I collected from there and the faulty laptop was then shipped back via their courier to Microsoft.

I would persist and visually document the fault, my guess is with prolonged use it will get worse.

I think the MS warranty seems a little weak.  Take a car, major components have a longer warranty than the small stuff.  I think this should be the case with IT as well.

Good luck!

Happy Christmas and New Year (less the laptop part...)

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-17T02:48:45+00:00

Hi Jason,

You mentioned that you checked other threads relating to this concern and the references suggest that the heat generated by the device caused the problem. Is this the same situation on your case? If your device heats up, were you able to check which programs cause it?

You can check with Answer Desk to get updates about your service request. They'd be able to give you the best options if the device can no longer be replaced.

Find useful information about Surface warranty by opening this link.

Come back if you need more help.

Regards.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-16T02:30:46+00:00

    I think from my past experience that the surface doesn't handle hard processing over extended periods of time well.  I had some extended periods of use over a few days and that's when I first started to notice the marks.  I still had it powered down, screen saver and in an AC room but it still occurred.

    I have to be thankful as I did get my problem resolved and Microsoft UK provide great customer service.

    I know this doesn't solve the problem but perhaps some more context to the issue might help someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-05T16:09:00+00:00

    I have the same issue as you. Burn marks on the screen and bulging screen. I'm worried that the lamination will fall apart. And I also have the problem that I'm out of warranty; what's worse is that I live in Argentina. I will try to call and see what happens. This is a hardware problem that Microsoft knows very well and although we are out of warranty they must give us a satisfying answer.

    Picture of burnt marks on screen:

    Lamination going to fall apart / bulging left side:

    Lamination going to fall apart / bulging right side:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-04T14:54:45+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    I first noticed extensive light discoloration of the screen about 8 months ago which I was told at the time was normal (light bleeding screen phenomena which sometimes happens on laptop). This was obviously worst with dark background (like watching movies, ets...) but not so much a problem for me as I mostly use my surface for work/business.  In the last 2 weeks the problem worsen and now this is what the screen looks like.

    Sure enough, after a quick web search, this appears to be a common defect of this surface and I found out that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Spent hours on the phone yesterday with no luck. Got disconnected while being transfered to their business department and of course, no one called me back. So I called again to follow up on my issue to simply be dismissed out because it was out of warranty. 

    I did not want to play the safety card as I am now sure what the real issue is. One may claim this is only an aesthetic issue and viewing inconvenience but looking at what might be coming up next with this defect and the lamination of the screen pushed out by a potentially defective battery, got me concerned. I am travelling constantly to go to my clients and in planes all the time. Battery issue and airplanes do not go well together so I am hoping someone will finally take this seriously and actually help the customers who purchased top dollars to get a "reliable" machine. Ironically I just saw an ad from MS stating that loyal customers are willing to pay top dollars. Probably true as long as the company stands by their products & their customers.

    I will try another follow up and update my post once I hear back from MS...

    A concerned loyal customer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments