How can I update my Surface Book 2 drivers for NVIDIA Geforce GTX1050

Anonymous
2019-06-19T00:59:41+00:00

When I start Adobe Premiere Pro I get this message :

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 v.23.21.13.9140

1.    The current version of your NVIDIA graphics driver may not suitably support CUDA 9.2 and may cause issues for Adobe Premiere Pro. We recommend updating to a newer version for optimal performance and stability. Continuing with an older version of the NVIDIA graphics driver may run in software-only mode and may cause slow playback and other issues that may appear to be a bug.

    URL: https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/premiere-pro/kb/gpu-and-gpu-driver-requirements-for-premiere-pro.html

So I tried to install the latest version of the drivers from NVIDIA but it seems that it can be done only through windows update.

Therefore I cannot use Adobe Premiere Pro because video is not rendered (only one frame some time...)

I have some friends having Dell and the drivers updates are more "up to date".

Will Microsoft soon give us a proper update for this driver ?

Surface | Surface Book | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-10T04:18:41+00:00

    Did you start a legal route? I'd support that. No patience for an $$$ laptop for creatives that can't function for industry standard creative software. 

    No, sorry, didn't have to, but I'm keeping the option open. I just needed a working solution that was offered by them in writing, which is what I got. Just so if there are further problems or if the solution breaks something, I can't be held responsible and they can't weasel out of "defect responsibility", which is waaay longer than official warranties (2-4 years for laptops) and covers software defects too, coming around to the whole "product not working as intended or as is reasonably expected". This is needed because generic drivers that they told me to install might cause damage in the long term if Microsoft has done custom power/temperature management and other modifications to the original driver, which the generic one doesn't have. Might also cause other issues like shorter battery life. This is why Microsoft needs to get their act together and just update the damn drivers. 

    As an update, my SB2 has been working reasonably well for a while now with Nvidia DCH Studio drivers (and remember to install nvidia control panel from Microsoft store). I Use mostly Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects on it (and Adobe Fresco when I'm bored, it is quite nice for a beta). Only time will tell if this solution is degrading the dGPU / other parts faster while in use.

    I Did a fresh install to latest Win10, immediately installed said drivers, and then everything else. Now it works, with some occasional crashes that I can't say with certainty aren't just part of Adobe stuff being buggy in some situations. Before all this I had tried standard studio drivers, and they didn't work as well, don't know why DCH works as there isn't a difference in the actual driver, or shouldn't be. Might also be just a normal update, as nvidia was/is aware of issues regarding SB2 drivers.

    Anyway, this shouldn't be happening at all, no matter how much the machine costs. And users shouldn't have to deal with finding drivers as it's not what we paid for.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-08T04:42:13+00:00

    Did you start a legal route? I'd support that. No patience for an $$$ laptop for creatives that can't function for industry standard creative software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-12T21:54:18+00:00

    so there's no escape from BSOD because you can get it with approved drivers and if you are a content creator using creative cloud apps, you have no choice but to install something more current than what's officially offered or else..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-12T21:40:49+00:00

    I've been suffering a lot of BSOD of late, like one every other day or so. I decided to do a complete wipe and reinstall. I got a BSOD during the "setting up your computer" phase of the new install and it listed the video timeout as the culprit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-10-23T01:03:18+00:00

    Is that now possible, after the latest fixes and Firmware-updates, the nvidia drivers now to install independently?

    If yes, is there an official statement, and which driver should you choose ( dch or standart.....game ready or studio ...... etc. )

    Not according to Microsoft and Nvidia. Nvidia is adamant that the drivers for the SB2 are custom coded and one cannot use the drivers on their website due to the Optimus system. I tried several versions off Nvidia's website and all had issues ranging from minor to severe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments