How can I update my Surface Book 2 drivers for NVIDIA Geforce GTX1050

Anonymous
2019-06-19T00:59:41+00:00

When I start Adobe Premiere Pro I get this message :

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 v.23.21.13.9140

1.    The current version of your NVIDIA graphics driver may not suitably support CUDA 9.2 and may cause issues for Adobe Premiere Pro. We recommend updating to a newer version for optimal performance and stability. Continuing with an older version of the NVIDIA graphics driver may run in software-only mode and may cause slow playback and other issues that may appear to be a bug.

    URL: https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/premiere-pro/kb/gpu-and-gpu-driver-requirements-for-premiere-pro.html

So I tried to install the latest version of the drivers from NVIDIA but it seems that it can be done only through windows update.

Therefore I cannot use Adobe Premiere Pro because video is not rendered (only one frame some time...)

I have some friends having Dell and the drivers updates are more "up to date".

Will Microsoft soon give us a proper update for this driver ?

Surface | Surface Book | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-07T01:59:46+00:00

    This is all kinds of ridiculous. It's been months and this issue hasn't been fixed by Microsoft. I mean, the machine (SB2 1TB with GTX1060, the top model) was roughly 4000€ where I live, and it won't even work with the programs I need it to (meaning Adobe Premiere Pro / After Effects) without errors and crashes. Just did a fresh install too, just to clean things up. Not that it matters when it comes to up-to-date drivers.

    It can't be that hard to update the dGPU driver for them. I mean, I understand if it takes a week or two, but several months is ridiculous.

    Every time I've tried to install drivers directly from nVidia, despite lot of people warning against it, I end up having weird issues and crashes, so that doesn't seem like a good solution. It's the responsibility of Microsoft to provide a working driver in a timely manner.

    I'm at a point that I'm thinking about filing a claim with the local competition and consumer authority to get compensated for the loss of working time and not being able to use this machine as it was intended. It seems that Microsoft is completely unable to deliver even the basic functionality on their machines, even though they selected and sold the hardware and provide the OS, so it should just work. I think I'll give it few more weeks, and if this isn't solved by the start of 2020, then I'll be taking legal action. Luckily Microsoft TOS doesn't have any weight against consumer protection (as one can't sign away their legal protections in many EU countries), and the product is not working as intended and in a way that the user can reasonably assume it to work. (I mean, this is a textbook case of "Product not working as is reasonably assumed to be its normal usage").

    I honestly don't know what else one could do at this point when a company like MS is just flat out refusing to fix their product and not even giving an official statement or some kind of timeframe when this might be fixed. The same old "just download from nVidia" is not good enough.

    So, Microsoft: Do your job, update the drivers and provide an actual, stable and working solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-12T21:05:46+00:00

    nVidia installer stops installation with "not compatible" alert

    -Same here. This needs to be fixed ASAP. How are we supposed to do creative work if can't use our software because our graphics driver hasn't been updated for like a year!??

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-16T15:12:12+00:00

    I've been having a long discussion with a very helpful person from Microsoft Finland. They actually went to get same model of SB2 during our first discussion just to verify that yes, the "latest" drivers that are officially available are dated 2018. After that we've been going back and forth finding solutions and reasons for why this issue is happening. Also got referred to business support, and multiple people got involved.

    Now, like some others have said in this topic,

    the only solution that is even remotely workable is to install Nvidia Studio Drivers (DCH version) directly from Nvidia, and to also install Geforce experience (don't know why, they suggested it and it helped with the crashes). Also, DCH version requires the installation of Nvidia control panel from Microsoft Store, but it's free.

    They also got information that Nvidia is aware of some compatibility issues and are trying to fix them as fast as possible. So it seems this is not just on Microsoft. Granted, they should inform users better and push updates through windows update so that the latest driver isn't showing a date from 2018 in device manager.

    I got lucky that after several tries met with silence, the person finally helping me is awesome and willing to go further than needed. They even mailed me after a few days to ask if I still was experiencing issues or were they solved, and kept me updated on that they haven't stopped looking into the matter. I'm more than willing to work together with someone like this to find a solution, even if it means losing some of my billable hours.

    Still. Not entirely happy that I need to do troubleshooting on machine this expensive, as this wouldn't likely happen with say, a Macbook Pro, but it was still enough that the machine is now sort-of working. Meaning I can do my job on it if I just save often. Which is better than it being a fancy paper weight. So at the moment, I don't have to pursue any legal routes, which is a relief.

    I also suspect that this issue is not more widely reported because (maybe?) majority of the users are not using Premiere/After Effects or other heavily affected programs. It seems that Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom work just fine regarding this specific issue, and even the new Fresco painting program works mostly without problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-10T17:19:20+00:00

    nVidia installer stops installation with "not compatible" alert

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-19T07:03:20+00:00

    Which type of software package do you use ? Is it a bought version, with disk and    full licence (lifetime use) or the newer cloud edition (rent an app) ? There has been some talk that  Adobe is no longer supporting some of the non cloud versions and this may be why you are getting these messages. If that is not the case then move on down below.

    Go into the search box next to the Windows start icon.

    type

    Device Manager

    In the window that pops up will be a Display Adaptersentry.

    Press arrow to enter the device settings and right click the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050device option.

    From the pop up menu select update drivers (make sure you are connected to the internet !)

    You will then get the latest drivers from the Microsoft repository.

    If you do not get an update you can straight to the source and download Nvidia drivers from the support page on Nvidia's support web page.

    You will need to get notebook specific driver package, use the options below (DCH only the other installer will not work !). Also use the Creator Ready option and not the Game Ready as shown below (Download Type), these drivers are optimised for Adobe and other media software.

    Keep in mind that Microsoft probably hasn't tested/approved these drivers, but they probably work just fine, so set a backup/recovery checkpoint before installing, just in case !

    Thanks but if try the version you advised, I get :

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments