This is a ridiculous answer. I have the same problem. It happens when the Lenovo is on or not. How unhelpful can you be?!
Surface Laptop very slow wireless connection
Just bought a Surface laptop. windows and drivers are all updated. when i put it next to my lenovo thinkpad and connect to same wifi, i am getting 1/3 of the speed. I did multiple tests with same results. I searched all over the web to find an answer but nothing came up like mine.
processor :i7-7660U CPU @ 2.50 ghz
memory :16 ram
os: windows 10 pro 1709 (os build 16299.309)
Surface | Surface Laptop | Network
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
52 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2020-09-02T23:49:27+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-06-13T16:04:11+00:00 Try turning off Bluetooth. I was having the same issue and this solved the problem. Download speeds went from 3mb to 40mb
Wow yeah, I just turned bluetooth off and then on again and now everything's zooming. I was at 1 (ONE) mbps this morning trying to sort this issue out and now I'm at almost 200. Wow.
Edit: Nevermind. It worked for a bit, then a restart kicked it back to being slow and doing bluetooth off/on again didn't give me the same result as before.
-
Anonymous
2020-05-14T13:56:49+00:00 I had the same issue. Tested all possible locations with Surface Laptop 2 and Samsung Galaxy S8 and found huge differences in speed. The solution for me was to switch to the 5Ghz connection that my router provides. On the very same spot my connection speed increased by a factor of 10 on the surface Laptop.
-
Anonymous
2020-03-27T16:00:27+00:00 I struggled with this same issue for months and couldn't find a permanent solution - everything I tried only improved WiFi speed temporarily.
I have now found a permanent solution - configure Surface Laptop to only use the 2.4 GHz
If your WiFi router offers the ability to setup separate 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz networks, connect your Surface Laptop to the 2.4 GHz network instead of the 5 GHz.
If your WiFi router doesn't offer this functionality, you can configure the wireless network card to only use 2.4 GHz within the Device Manager properties - set the BAND option under Advanced to "2.4 GHz only".
All my performance issues went away once I gave up on using 5 GHz - this is unfortunate since 5 GHz does offer the potential for greater speeds, but at least my connection speeds no longer drop down to nothing on a regular basis anymore...
-
Anonymous
2020-01-01T05:41:02+00:00 I have a 300Mbps download speed for my home cable internet plan.
All of our devices get ~240Mbps on wifi (my hard-connected PC actually gets ~330 Mbps) but on my Surface 3 am getting ~80Mbps.
However when I switch the speed test from IPv6 to IPv4 my Surface 3 gets ~240, right in line with my other devices.
(I have 5Ghz wireless.)
Would I be correct in assuming that Microsoft's preference for IPv6 isn't compatible in some way with the Surface hardware? Regardless, can I set my Surface preference to IPv4?
Any advice would be much appreciated.