If you open the playback devices in the sound icon on the taskbar, you should be able to select the desired output device. It is likely to switch to the digital out when connected with the digital video out.
Surface Pro has no sound when external display is connected
When I have an external monitor connected via the mini displayport on the Surface Pro, there is no sound played through the Surface's speakers. I have plug in speakers into the mini audio out. Does the mini-dp on Surface support audio and is trying to output audio? I'm currently using a mini-dp to displayport cable, and would prefer the option to choose whether the sound is being piped through the mini-dp or continue through the Surface's speakers.
Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2013-04-24T14:06:13+00:00 Since you see Intel HDMI audio under the sound devices in Device Manager, this would indicate you have installed the full Intel HD Graphics 4000 package. Please try uninstalling that and trying the adapter again after running Windows Update.
-
Anonymous
2013-04-24T06:30:38+00:00 I'm having this problem. My mini dp port adapter is this: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-A-DM-HD-W01-Mini-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B007B6YPAM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and i just got it. According to amazon comment's this adapter should work with surface pro. But I get only video and not audio.
In my playback devices hdmi audio was greyed out and I couldn't enable it or make it default device or do anything to it by right clicking it when I first time plugged surface pro to my TV. Speakers were default device and I couldn't change it. My tv is Panasonic ST50. Then I installed latest Intel HD driver 15.31 with Intel HD Audio Driver. After that there is no hdmi audio in playback devices, just speakers and headphones. I have enabled it to show disabled devices but still no hdmi audio device. In the device manager under sound, audio etc. I can however see Intel HDMI audio.
My hp dv7 laptop with windows 8 carries video and audio to my TV just fine with the hdmi cable I'm using so I don't believe that there is problem with my hdmi cable or TV.
Any help? I am afraiding that I get limited connectivity bug back if I do refresh but I don't know what else I could try.
And sorry for my bad english, I'm from Finland. I visited New York in february so I could buy Surface Pro.
-
Anonymous
2013-02-24T06:03:52+00:00 Correct, which is why I thought perchance it was not being properly routed for HD audio output. Cheaper to make a restore point, install a driver and see if there's a difference. Rather than buy another cable.
There was another post stating that the Belkin cable did not work but I believe it was for mini-Display to Display.
I do believe these two have been posted in other posts as working:
-
Anonymous
2013-02-24T02:27:49+00:00 When you are connected to the external display/speakers, click the speaker icon in the bottom right of the desktop and then click Mixer. There will be a column for Device with a drop down menu below it. Click that and choose the other sound output device.
If you are pushing the sound via HDMI, it may require the Intel HD Audio driver that is in the Intel HD Graphics 4000 package. To install that and test, get it from Intel or the site where I and some friends are hosting the drivers for the Surface Pro: