Surface Pro has no sound when external display is connected

Anonymous
2013-02-20T08:38:59+00:00

When I have an external monitor connected via the mini displayport on the Surface Pro, there is no sound played through the Surface's speakers.  I have plug in speakers into the mini audio out.  Does the mini-dp on Surface support audio and is trying to output audio?  I'm currently using a mini-dp to displayport cable, and would prefer the option to choose whether the sound is being piped through the mini-dp or continue through the Surface's speakers.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-20T09:09:09+00:00

If you open the playback devices in the sound icon on the taskbar, you should be able to select the desired output device. It is likely to switch to the digital out when connected with the digital video out.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-23T21:59:46+00:00

    I'm using a Belkin Mini-Display Port to HDMI cable I purchased at the Microsoft store. When I hook the cable to my audio receiver, I don't have the ability to switch the sound to go to a different target; it still wants to go to "speakers" and I don't have the option to change it. I go to "Manage Audio Devices" in the control panel, and don't have the option to add display port out or anything similar, just speakers and headphones.

    Help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-24T00:20:12+00:00

    I'm having a similar problem. No sound from external speakers plugged into the Surface Pro. It's as if, the computer doesn't know what to do with the audio signals. Pretty cheezy fr a $1,000 device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-22T10:14:36+00:00

    Thanks LCRT and daov.  It's just like you both described.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-22T01:24:37+00:00

    I can verify this works  fine on my HDMI TV sound can be directed to the TV or the Pro's speakers as expected.

    The sound on the pro can be  set so high I haven't needed to use headphones like on my old iPad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments