Surface Dock not putting monitor to sleep

Anonymous
2016-05-11T01:50:28+00:00

Hi Everyone,

I have a new Surface Pro 4 with a Microsoft Dock and an Asus 28" Monitor for my GM. The problem I have is that when I shut down the Surface, the Dock seems to continue to provide power to the Monitor and the monitor doesn't go into standby mode. When I unplug the monitor cable from the dock it goes into standby but the moment I plug the cable (Display Port) back in the monitor powers up and says it can't detect the display port.

I have all current Microsoft updates so nothing recent has helped with this. Any thoughts?

Olin

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-04-03T14:35:48+00:00

Ok, I am replying to my post about this because I have fixed my issue.

The way I fixed it was buying an ACTIVE mDP to HDMI adapter (one that supports 4K @ 60Hz) and using that with my monitor.  I have had no luck using the direct mDP to full DP cable.

Thanks for sharing, this solved my issue as well.  Monitor sleeps like a baby now.

For reference here are the adapter and cable I'm using:

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HDMI Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SIJY/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-30T15:35:30+00:00

    And here another one with the same problem. Surface Pro 2017 plugged in into a Surface Dock that is connected to a Eizo 2750 by using a Mini DP to DP cable. Everything with up to date software and firmware. The display does never go into standby when all devices are connected together. Come on Microsoft ... this is a 2-year-old bug?!?! And I can't believe that you expect users to buy some cumbersome adapter. The Surface line is expensive enough already!!! So give it a premium support when you sell it like a premium product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-12T01:28:58+00:00

    Ok, I am replying to my post about this because I have fixed my issue.

    The way I fixed it was buying an ACTIVE mDP to HDMI adapter (one that supports 4K @ 60Hz) and using that with my monitor.  I have had no luck using the direct mDP to full DP cable.

    Thanks for sharing, this solved my issue as well.  Monitor sleeps like a baby now.

    For reference here are the adapter and cable I'm using:

    Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    HDMI Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SIJY/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

    Wow I can't believe I finally found people that were having the same issue as me!! I checked so many forums without success.

    Fortunately my monitor also has HDMI, so I will order this active adapter asap! I had been plugging the second monitor directly into the SP4 so that I didn't have to manually turn off the monitor for over a year now and it is starting to wear out the connector. It flickers on and off if the cable moves now, so I was frantically looking again for a solution.

    This is exciting, I hope it works. I believe last year when I called Microsoft about this they made sure I was using DP input! Geez! I can't believe Microsoft is still clueless. I am glad I didn't waste my time going to the Microsoft store. Now I just need to figure out whether to keep the 32" 4k or the 34" ultrawide since I just bought different monitor to see if it would work properly. (it didn't)

    Thanks for posting this!! If it works I will post an update!

    I used the above mentioned Cable Matters active adapter:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Now my LG 34UC88-B sleeps like a baby when connected through the Surface Dock. Unlike when using pure displayport connections (as recommended by Microsoft).

    It is now fixed and I am happy, but I can't believe Microsoft couldn't figure this out within 3+ years it has been out!! And if they did, a simple TSB advising of the fix would have gone a long way! 

    But Microsoft still needs to fix the Dock to work with pure DisplayPort as others have mentioned monitors that cannot reach full capabilities through HDMI. (The 32" 4k I mentioned above is one of them, hence I am returning it)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-04-27T12:53:10+00:00

    Sorry, this is not an answer. It is not a solution for everyone. My monitor does not have HDMI support for 4K.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-11T23:51:06+00:00

    Hello OlinSaxon,

    Thank you for reaching out to the Surface community. Sorry to hear you are having an issue with you monitor and your Surface Dock. Please follow the troubleshooting information provided in this link for additional information.

    Please reply with your results of all the troubleshooting if you need additional assistance.

    Best Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments