At 60C I wouldn't be concerned. The laptop is bound to heat up the more it works for such tasks as playing video, charging the battery, etc.. If you aren't getting a warning from the computer I wouldn't worry about it.
Overheating issue in the new Surface Pro 8: getting even hotter when charger is connected
Hi,
I have purchased a brand new Surface Pro 8 from Microsoft website, it has 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD in USA. Since when I purchased it, I am having some hitting issue. After only half an hour of regular usage, the Surface is becoming hotter. An more importantly, overheating is happening when the charger (official charger that came with it) is connected. Initially I felt it by touching with hand. Later, I have checked the core temperatures using Core Temp 1.17.1 (a free software). When the charger is not connected, the temperature is remaining around 45 degree C, sometimes a bit higher and lower than that. While this itself was to a bit hotter side, the temperature increased an became around 50 to 55 degree C when I connected the charger, and that happened just after five minutes of connecting the charger with regular use like YouTube video playing, web browsing in 10-15 tabs. Even sometimes I saw more than 60 degree C when the charger is connected.
I spent around 2500 USD for this device, and feeling unlucky in seeing such heating issue in a high-end latest device by Microsoft. Any solution from experienced people and Microsoft is highly appreciated.
Zobaer Islam
>>Edited post to remove PII
Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2021-10-25T23:11:29+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-04-18T21:52:39+00:00 Mine was also getting very hot - when plugged in as well as when on battery only. I found that when I turned off indexing, the problem was resolved. The drives are fast so not sure if indexing is really needed plus I don't search much!
-
Anonymous
2022-05-10T18:02:40+00:00 After so much frustration with overheating I found, what works for me, is a USB Fan. I found it quite easily on Amazon and so far it works great. I use it whenever I am going to be using my SP7 for any extended periods and if there is a big update being installed.
Knock on wood, it has so far fixed my overheating problem. So much so that I went and purchased a cover to keep my SP7 safe incase of dropping or bumping or from scratches, all good so far.
All of the useless fixes given by Microsoft or their Representatives will not fix the overheating issues, if they were really concerned for their consumers they would have done something more substantial by now.
Buyer beware......................
-
Anonymous
2022-03-23T18:50:08+00:00 The fans on the 8 were whining along at what must been top speed to no avail. I wouldn't ever use a cover based on that.
And, despite suggesting the fans are 'optimized' I am not so sure. I'd like to have the ability to change fan speed myself. Sadly, the system is locked down pretty tight. Even in BIOS the only thing you can do is change the boot order- I assume that's beacuse they know you're going to need to hard reset the bloodly thing within a short time.
It is a money grab to be sure. I so want to to love this device. It's the third Surface device I've owned, and by far the worst. STAY AWAY is my take at the moment.
-
Anonymous
2022-06-29T15:11:20+00:00 The bottom line is that MS cannot help us with this problem. They have not fixed the overheating issue for several years, even though they have known about it. We as consumers, are stuck with this high priced Tablet, that cannot be depended on to not overheat and shutdown.
The cost to fix this issue is not worth it to MS. The millions they would have to pay out is just like the issue Ford had with the Pinto Cars gas tank exploding in a crash.