On-screen keyboard does not display in tablet mode - Surface Pro

Anonymous
2013-02-13T07:57:49+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-09-19T15:45:17+00:00

I am having trouble getting the onscreen keyboard to display when my Surface Pro is not connected to its type cover.

I noticed this when I was in the Metro UI.  The issue occurs when I select the search option from the charms menu.  Once I do this, the onscreen keyboard does not appear, so, I am unable to type anything into the search box.

This also occurs when I attempt to access the Surface Pro from sleep mode.  The password box appears, but, I cannot input into it without the onscreen keyboard.

I have already tried the refresh option - it did not work.

Any thoughts on a fix for this issue?

Hi. I had the same problem and it was really bugging me but I finally got it sorted. Basically, while your in laptop mode press the little keyboard icon (at the bottom right of the screen where the time is) and the on-screen keyboard should come up. Without pressing 'x' on the on-screen keyboard, un-clip your real keyboard so it turns into tablet mode. Now you can press 'x' and go onto the internet or something to test out whether it worked or not. Press on the search bar and it should come up. I had to do it twice but it worked. Hope this helped someone.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-13T09:11:34+00:00

when waking it from sleep, only remove the keyboard when the lockscreen is displayed. Thus is also a bug with the surface rt when waking from connected standby.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-15T16:33:51+00:00

    I started having a problem with the onscreen keyboard not appearing when using search from the charms bar with a Type 2 cover folded back on my SP2 after checking the "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start" option (right click task bar, select properties / navigation tab).

    If I check this option and restart with the Type 2 cover attached, the bug appears when I try to search for anything with the Type 2 keyboard attached and folded back. I expect the onscreen keyboard to appear when I tap in the search box, but the onscreen keyboard does not appear. The problem persists even if I take the Type 2 keyboard off,and I have to search using the keyboard unless I restart after taking the Type 2 keyboard off first. As far as I can tell, the problem occurs only with search (charms bar / search). Everywhere else, the onscreen keyboard seems to behave as expected, with or without the Type 2 keyboard attached.

    The way I use my SP2, I run into this bug a lot. As a workaround, I just uncheck the option mentioned above (and restart), but I'd like to go to the desktop instead of start when I log in. I tested a local account I created right after resetting the SP2, and I can reproduce this bug consistently by unchecking (and restarting) and unchecking (and restarting) the "go to the desktop option." I don't know if this is a general bug or a problem with my unit. Can anyone else reproduce this bug?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T20:30:36+00:00

    I just experienced this same behavior and the chat support Karen P was able to help me resolve it. Copying from chat script what resolved this issue for me.

     

    The first I would like you to do is to remove the keyboard, lay it flat on a table or other flat surface and then hover your Surface Pro just above where it connects until the keyboard "jumps up" to connect.

    Karen P: I would like you to repeat this action 15 times. This will work the connection as well as unload and re-load the drivers.

    Karen P: Once you have completed this action, can you please restart your Surface and let me know if it still responds as it has been

    I just wanted say that this worked (as crazy as it may seem). This problem was driving me nuts!! Thanks so much for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more