Hi Rage RAZR,
Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. We're sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.
Can you tell us the current OS version of your Surface device? You mentioned that it is up to date and I assumed it has Windows 10 1909 version with the latest Build. Well, I actually checked theSurface Laptop 3's update history and figured out that for both Intel and AMD Processors, it's system light sensor has a new driver version and this should improve light balance and contrast. In your case, this is kinda odd if the screen turns really black
when you are in a dark environment. This should just dim the brightness of your Surface.
To check the current driver version :
Open Device Manager
Expand Sensors
Right-click on the light sensor available, select Properties and choose
Driver. if it's the most up to date then this should show that it's driver version is 1.35.139.0.
If it's up to date, then I'd like you to click, "Uninstall Device" . After uninstalling, restart the Surface to reinstall it back.
If no changes after uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, I'd like you to go back to
Driver Properties under Sensors and click, " Rollback Driver" and see if this works okay with the old driver.
If your Surface device doesn't have the latest driver version for system light sensor, then I highly recommend to check for updates in your device Settings.
If this answers your question, please let our Community know by marking this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread for further assistance.
Kind Regards,
Crest_Z