security certificate revoked - outlook.office365.com

John Rovel Kalaw 6 Reputation points
2022-07-27T04:28:49.213+00:00

Hi

The pictures below started popping up on our PCs. and the PC was using not part of any domain. I tried to follow the link below but the IE was inaccessible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/outlookoffice365com-security-certificate-has-been/743bdb2b-06ce-4206-923e-bdb7041528bd

225096-image.png

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business
Windows for business | Windows Server | Devices and deployment | Configure application groups

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Garry Cross 1 Reputation point
    2022-11-01T14:24:23.517+00:00

    I got this popup this morning and also last week. It is random from what I can see. The cert has been revoked. What this means is that the software, in this case outlook has gone to the certificate issuer, to determine it's status. The certificate issuer for my current connection is DigiCert Cloud Services CA-1. This is random and Microsoft likely has a lot of servers that have a cert for outlook.office365.com, Likely one or more servers have not been updated with the correct cert. When your client resolves the name, the DNS system returns an ip address. It likely will not always be the same one. One must determine which server or servers have not been updated. Currently my outlook client is connected to more than one server and my browser is connected to a different one than outlook. This is just one of many and may or may not be the server with an issue. 2603:1036:30a:1425:0:0:0:2 This is an ipv6 address in case inquiring minds don't understand. To get to the cause of this one must find the specific ip address of the server that is sending the revoked certificate in response to a connection request.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. David Marino 1 Reputation point
    2022-11-01T14:20:55.98+00:00

    Located in Canadian east coast as well and using Windows 11 and outlook 365 version 2209 with the same issue. When I open the certificate and check the root and intermediate, they show up as ok.

    Serial Number for the cert is : 0f12dc8955821d6d936bcf34e50f60c5

    EDIT:

    I tried removing modern auth and reactivated it. Will give let you know if the issue re-occurs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Daniel Demers 1 Reputation point
    2022-11-01T13:45:57.423+00:00

    Wondering what folks are using for Firewalls/AV? Perhaps there is a corolation?

    We usually have a setup of Watchguard Firewalls and SentinelOne or Crowdstrike.

    I seem to have the issue at various locations, Usually we have a watchguard firewall and then one of those two EDRs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. megs28 6 Reputation points
    2022-11-01T13:44:46.883+00:00

    Anyone tried checking on their root certificates yet? I saw a reddit post from July-ish timeframe with someone saying they experienced the same popups and root cert update resolved it. This was the article they linked to, but I haven't had time to try it out for myself.

    http://woshub.com/updating-trusted-root-certificates-in-windows-10/

    I also turned on CAPI2 logging for everyone to see if that gives an indication as to what is going on. Hopefully it captures something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Jonathan Miller 1 Reputation point
    2022-11-01T13:43:59.85+00:00

    I've been getting these random 'security alert' prompts about the outlook.office365.com certificate for several weeks. So have random clients, even though all clients are configured the exact same way.

    We're located on the east coast of Canada.

    Microsoft??? What's up?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.