How to close an open file that is showing containing the file that I am trying to open.

David Smith 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T15:11:39.73+00:00

I cannot access a file on my laptop. When is try to open it I get a warning that the file I am trying to open is showing open already in another file and needs to be closed.

I am 80 years old and not computer literate, I have no idea how to find this open file and when found how to close it.

File I am trying to open on my machine is Model Railway (M)

the file which is open is HTTPS://d.docs.live.net/56c787.f160

Help?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ian-T 12,825 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-28T23:42:13.2933333+00:00

    Hello @David Smith

    The d.docs.live.net address is part of OneDrive. It does not necessarily mean that another visible file is open. Sometimes Word or Excel remains open in the background, or OneDrive has not yet released the file.

    Please try this simple step first:

    1. Save any other work you have open.
    2. Select the Start button.
    3. Select Power, then Restart.
    4. After the computer starts again, wait a minute and try opening Model Railway (M) from your normal OneDrive folder.

    Restarting the computer should close any hidden copy of the file and release the lock.

    If the warning still appears, please reply and tell us whether Model Railway (M) is a Word document, Excel spreadsheet, or folder. I can then guide you through the next step carefully.

    Thank you and hope to hear from you soon

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.