I continue to get a splash screen to update my payment information

William G 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T23:54:28.78+00:00

I recently updated my payment information and the payment was processed and my account shows that my subscription expires in 09/2027. Yet when I use any of the Office 365 products, this splash screen keeps popping up. It tells me that I need to update my payment information before I lose my subscription. Why am I getting these messages every time I go to use Word, Excel, Outlook etc.? How do I stop these from popping up?

Thank you

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. John Jefferson Doyon 88,720 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-21T00:35:56.01+00:00

    Hi, @William G

    If subscriptions is already active, please try these steps if you haven’t already:

    • Make sure you're signed in with the same Microsoft account that the subscription is linked to.
    • Then, open any Office app (like Word or Excel), go to File > Account, and click "Update License" to refresh your license status.

    If issue still persists:

    Before installing, it’s a good idea to uninstall all existing versions of Office to avoid conflicts.

    Here’s how:

    • Open the Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
    • Look for any version of Microsoft Office or Office apps, right-click, then choose Uninstall. Please uninstall all Office apps.
    • Once that’s done, restart your computer just to be safe.

    Then, to reinstall Microsoft Office:

    • Go to https://account.microsoft.com/services
    • Sign in using the same Microsoft account linked to your license.
    • Find your Microsoft 365 Subscription and click the "Install".
    • That will download the installer for the Office apps, just run it and follow the steps.

    If anything’s unclear or the "Install" option still doesn’t show, feel free to let me know. I’ll be happy to walk you through it!


    I really hope this information is helpful! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

    Click "Add comment" to let me know.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-09-20T23:54:42.7666667+00:00

    This usually happens because Office is still showing a cached subscription or billing alert even after the payment has been updated and processed.

    Use this order to clear it:

    1. Confirm the subscription is active
      • Go to Services & subscriptions.
      • Verify that Microsoft 365 shows as active and that there is no payment alert.
    2. Confirm the payment method has no error
      • Go to Payment options.
      • Check whether the payment method still shows an error. If it does, update it there.
    3. Sign out of Office, then sign back in
      • Open Word or another Office app.
      • Sign out of Office.
      • Close all Office apps.
      • Restart the PC.
      • Open Word again and sign back in with the Microsoft account tied to the subscription.
    4. Refresh the Office license
      • In an Office app, go to File > Account.
      • Select Update License if that option appears.
    5. Allow time for the billing status to sync
      • If the payment was only recently corrected, the status can take up to 24 hours to fully sync across services.
    6. If the message still appears
      • This has been reported as a wider Office app or server-side issue in some cases.
      • If signing out, restarting, and signing back in does not clear it, use Contact support.

    If nothing is done, Office can eventually go into reduced functionality mode, where documents can still be opened and printed, but not edited or newly created.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.