365 threatens to shutdown unless I pay bill that I already paid

my Tablet 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T19:45:12.2766667+00:00

I am getting threatening notifications from Microsoft 365 to pay my bill. Now Word is not working. I paid two MSFT bills for about $100 in the last 6 months with my usual recurring card ending in *2209......the funds were automatically taken from my account. If there is still a problem you need to notifiy me. I cannot pay any more until Oct 3.

I need my service restored. I am on a publishing deadline for tomorrow, Monday, Sep 21 with Wiley Publishing and I cannot complete my research work submission.

Erik Brown

+[Removed to protect privacy]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Bulldog 4,740 Reputation points
    2026-09-20T21:33:54.3833333+00:00

    Something important to keep in mind:

    Every app and service that you buy directly from Microsoft, including your subscription to Microsoft 365, is not purchased by you - it's purchased by your Microsoft account. You do not own a subscription to Microsoft 365 ... Your Microsoft account owns the subscription, not you and not your computer. You own your computer and you own your Microsoft account, but your Microsoft account owns the subscription. Your Microsoft account pays for a subscription with the method of payment that you provided to your Microsoft account. No other method of payment pays for your subscription.

    Therefore, your subscription to Microsoft 365 belongs to the Microsoft account that paid for the subscription with the payment method you entered to that Microsoft account.

    In order for you to use the software, after you have downloaded and installed it to your computer with your Microsoft account, you have to activate the software with the username and password of that Microsoft account - no other username and password will activate the software.

    To enter the username and password, open any Microsoft 365 app and go to File > Account > User Information and enter the username and password of the correct Microsoft account. Your software will activate and you can use it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. John Jefferson Doyon 88,720 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-20T20:47:31.0033333+00:00

    Hi, @my Tablet

    This forum is public, no one from here has access to your Microsoft Billing account.

    If you haven’t tried it yet, first sign in here with the Microsoft account you normally use for Word: https://account.microsoft.com/services Please check whether Microsoft 365 shows as Active, Expired, or Payment due.

    Also, can you provide the exact wording of the notification you are seeing? Please leave out your email address, card details, or any other personal information. This forum is public.

    I’m asking because the wording will help determine whether Microsoft 365 is actually reporting an unpaid subscription, Word has simply lost its activation, or the notification may be coming from somewhere else.

    Also, were the payments made directly to Microsoft, or through Apple, Google, Amazon, or another retailer?


    Click "Add comment" to let me know.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.