File History: Reconnect your drive

C J 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T14:56:35.63+00:00

"Your files will be temporarily copied to your hard drive until you reconnect your File History drive and run a backup."

I have tried everything I can think of and that ChatGPT has suggested.

I have formatted the entire drive, which has worked before when this has happened.

I have deleted the File History catalogue structure on C:\ as well with no success.

I have tried restarting it in services and restructuring the index as well. 

I've tried another harddrive for the backup.

I've also tried inactivating it and activating it again.

It is locked in showing this error 100%.

Any suggestions?

da676197-f5bc-4896-a29c-5a210e20c733

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. DaveM121 (2) 16,645 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-20T15:57:03.5033333+00:00

    There is no problem with your PC or the drive, the File History problem you are experiencing is caused by a bug introduced in the September udpate, this is widely reported and Microsoft have indicated they are aware of the problem and they will provide a patch to fix the problem as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  2. C J 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-20T14:59:03.42+00:00

    da676197-f5bc-4896-a29c-5a210e20c733

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.