Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other

pappala appala krishna rao 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T13:55:30.65+00:00

I purchased Microsoft 365 Business Basic and received a Microsoft welcome email with an initial administrator account for my new tenant.

However, when I try to sign in to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center, Microsoft displays:

“This username may be incorrect. Make sure you typed it correctly. Otherwise, contact your admin.”

I am the initial/sole administrator and cannot access the Admin Center.

I have already tried:

  • Chrome Incognito
  • Exact username from the Microsoft welcome email
  • Microsoft 365 Admin Center sign-in
  • Account recovery/sign-in lookup

The administrator account is still not recognized.

I need help determining whether:

  1. The Microsoft 365 tenant was fully provisioned.
  2. The initial Global Administrator account was created correctly.
  3. The subscription provisioning is incomplete because of a payment/billing issue.
  4. Microsoft Tenant Recovery / Global Administrator Recovery is required.

Please advise the correct Microsoft Business Support path to recover the existing tenant and administrator account.

I do not want to create a duplicate tenant or duplicate Microsoft 365 subscription.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Demi Nguyen 2,165 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-20T14:19:52.54+00:00

    Please note: This is a user-to-user Community forum. No one here can access Microsoft’s backend systems, create a support ticket, or make changes to your account, tenant, or billing information. You must contact Microsoft Support directly, as only an authorized support agent can assist with these requests. 

    Hello pappala appala krishna rao,

    Thank you for providing the detailed information.

    When a new Microsoft 365 Business subscription is created, the initial administrator account is commonly created with the tenant’s default domain and may end with onmicrosoft.com, for example: ******@yourtenant.onmicrosoft.com

    Could you please review the Microsoft welcome email and the information entered when the subscription was purchased, and confirm whether the username you are using is the exact initial administrator account? Please pay particular attention to the domain after the @ symbol, as it may be different from your regular contact email address.

    If you are certain that the username is correct but Microsoft still does not recognize the account, and you do not want to create another trial tenant or duplicate subscription, you will need to contact Microsoft’s Data Protection team. This team has the authority and the specific security procedures to verify your identity as the legitimate owner of the account and then reset your MFA settings from their end. Please use the following page to locate the customer service phone number for your country or region, and ask the frontline agent to create a support request for tenant or administrator account recovery: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support   

    Here are some tips and an example of a prompt to help you navigate the IVR more effectively:   

    (When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help)        

    In some regions you may initially interact with an automated system, so here is an example of how you can answer the prompts to reach the right team more quickly:   

    • What kind of problem are you experiencing?           
    • Answer: Authenticator           
    • What products do you use?           
    • Answer: Office 365 for business           
    • Is this for an education or company account?           
    • Answer: For companies           
    • Are you an administrator?           
    • Answer: Yes           
    • Are there any other administrators in your organization?           
    • Answer: No. I am the only admin in my tenant            
    • Do you need a... Service request?            
    • Answer: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me direct to the Data Protection Teams.        

    I also recommend calling during business hours. In my experience, it can be difficult to get through to the correct support queue, and automated systems don't always work as expected. If you can't get through on your first try, I suggest trying again later or at a different time.

    I hope the information provided helps guide you in the right direction. If you decide that you would like to create a temporary trial tenant as an alternative way to contact Microsoft Support, please let me know. I can provide the relevant guidance if needed.

    Kind regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.