Account recovery options aren't working and I'm going in circles.

Schuyler Wright 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T03:18:47.0266667+00:00

I'm trying to recover an old Microsoft account that I know the email of, but not the password.

While trying to reset the password using the phone recovery method, it just says "use another recovery method," but I don't have any other recovery methods besides the password, which I don't have.

I've also used the account recovery form, but I just get a message saying I don't have enough information for it, even though I put in a s much information as possible

trying to call the support number doesn't do anything because the chat bot just refers me to the website with the account reset form which, as I stated previously, does not work.

Getting a hold of an actual person would be nice but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

I'm getting frustrated that nothing is working, is there anything I can do?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hornblower409 15,920 Reputation points
    2026-09-20T23:54:18.57+00:00

    @Schuyler Wright said

    I'm trying to recover an old Microsoft account ... don't have any other recovery methods besides the password ... account recovery form, ... I don't have enough information .. trying to call the support number doesn't do anything .. Getting a hold of an actual person would be nice but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

    As you have already discovered:

    Microsoft has made the automated recovery process untouchable. No human can exert any influence on your behalf. No human will ever look at your Account Recovery form. The automated process checks only if you have answered the specific questions on the form. Anything else is ignored. It is normal to get an immediate rejection.

    All I can suggest is the tips in:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/account-recovery-unsuccessful-dc56c3e3-dff0-4ed5-8edb-60290eea6b53

    Microsoft Account Security is an automated process. Microsoft Support Agents can not unlock an account, reset your password, or change any Security Settings no matter what documentation you can present.

    I am sorry. I know that losing access to your account is more than just an inconvenience, it can cause real hardships. I wish I could give you another answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.