Microsoft 365 tenant lockout – sole Global Administrator account says it no longer exists

Luis Huerta 0 Reputation points
2026-09-19T22:33:14.2266667+00:00

I am the owner and sole Global Administrator of a Microsoft 365 Business Basic tenant.

On September 19, 2026, I purchased Microsoft 365 Business Basic directly from Microsoft and successfully accessed the Microsoft 365 Admin Center.

I also purchased and configured my business domain through Microsoft. Microsoft subsequently sent me an email confirming that the verified domain had been added to my organization and identifying the administrator account that performed the action.

Shortly afterward, I lost access to the tenant. When I attempt to sign in with the administrator account, Microsoft says the account cannot be found. The Microsoft work or school account recovery process also reports that the username does not exist.

I am the only administrator, so there is no second administrator who can restore my access.

I have already attempted Microsoft phone support, but the automated system was unable to resolve the issue.

I have Microsoft's original order confirmation and Microsoft's verified-domain confirmation email as proof that the tenant, subscription, administrator account, and verified domain existed.

I need assistance recovering access to the original Microsoft 365 tenant. Please escalate this as a sole Global Administrator tenant lockout / tenant recovery case to the appropriate Microsoft support or Data Protection team.

I can provide the order ID, tenant/domain information, proof of purchase, and proof of ownership privately to Microsoft support upon request.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Roebe Ta 1,375 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-20T10:19:29.1766667+00:00

    Hi @Luis Huerta ,

    I'm sorry to hear that your only Global Administrator account is locked out.

    I’d like to clarify that I don't represent Microsoft, I do not have access to user sign-in logs, cannot reset MFA, revoke access, or contact Microsoft Support/Data Protection Team on your behalf. Please consider me an end user as well, providing guidance based on experience and documented processes.  

    To help, I'd like to share the prompt that has successfully helped many other users reach the Data Protection Team and create a support request:

    1. Find the related hotline number for your country to call the frontline and let them raise a ticket for you: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support 

    2. Depending on your country or region:

    For some countries, when calling the support number, although there are about 30 seconds opening as something "you can visit the link...." But you can ignore this opening and wait until the option, then "1" as a business email user, "1" again for technical help.   

    For some countries, it will be an automated conversation like:    

    • First, when you call the hotline, it asks what kind of problem you are worried about.   
    • Answered: authenticator.   
    • A: What kind of product are you using?   
    • B: Microsoft 365 for business.   
    • A confirmation: education or company account?   
    • B: For companies   
    • A: Are you an administrator?   
    • B: Yes.   
    • A: Do you have the other admin in your organization?   
    • B: No.   
    • A: You need one.... Service request?   
    • B: Yes   

    Important note:

    • You may need to call multiple times before you are connected to a live support representative and can successfully create a support request with a ticket number for tracking. 
    • If calling the support line in your region is difficult, you may try another regional support number that offers service in your language, or contact the English support line if you’re comfortable speaking English. 

    If you still have trouble using the frontline support, you can try set up a new trial tenant and submit your support request: Compare Office 365 Enterprise Pricing and Plans | Microsoft 365. 

    User's image

    Once the new tenant is created, navigate to Microsoft 365 Admin center and create a support request: Get support - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn . During the process, you must clearly state that you are locked out of a different, pre-existing Microsoft 365 tenant where you are the administrator. Provide the following information about your locked account:      

    • The domain name of your locked tenant     
    • Your administrator account. 
    • Any error messages you are receiving.    
    • Details about the authentication issues you are experiencing.    
    • Your proof of ownership. 

    Important notes:

    • This new trial tenant will not give you access to any of the data or settings in your original locked tenant. It is solely a temporary means to contact Microsoft support.  
    • Be prepared for Microsoft support to ask for verification of your identity and administrative rights for the locked tenant.    
    • The resolution time might be longer as you are contacting support from a different tenant.    
    • Remember to cancel the trial subscription for the new tenant once your issue with the original account is resolved to avoid any unintended charges. You can typically do this within the Microsoft 365 Admin Center under "Billing" -> "Your products."  

    I hope you'll be able to reach the Data Protection team this way. If you still have any issue, please don't hesitate to reply.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.