Restoring my account. Issues with Authentication

Dr. S. Ugbo 0 Reputation points
2026-09-19T21:20:00.47+00:00

Hello Microsoft 365 Support Team,

I am requesting urgent assistance regaining access to my organization's Microsoft 365 administrator account.

Organization: Zion Direct Healthcare Services

Domain: ziondirecthealthcare.com

Affected administrator account: [[Moderator note: personally identifiable Information removed]@ziondirecthealthcare.com]

I recently replaced and traded in my previous iPhone. Microsoft Authenticator was configured on the old device as the authentication method for my Microsoft 365 account.

Unfortunately, before resetting and trading in the old iPhone, I did not successfully transfer/re-register Microsoft Authenticator on my new iPhone 17.

I still know my Microsoft 365 username and password. However, when I attempt to sign in, Microsoft requires authentication through Microsoft Authenticator. The authentication request is associated with my previous device, which has already been reset and traded in and is no longer accessible.

Microsoft Authenticator is installed on my new iPhone 17, but I cannot complete registration because signing into the account requires approval from the previously registered Authenticator device.

I do not have another available authentication method that allows me to complete the MFA challenge.

If applicable, I am the Global Administrator for this Microsoft 365 tenant and cannot access the Microsoft 365 Admin Center or Microsoft Entra Admin Center to reset my own authentication methods.

I am requesting that this case be escalated to the appropriate Microsoft Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team so that my identity and ownership of the Microsoft 365 tenant can be verified and the previous MFA/Authenticator registration can be reset.

I am prepared to provide any information necessary to verify ownership of Zion Direct Healthcare Services, the ziondirecthealthcare.com domain, the Microsoft 365 subscription, and the administrator account.

Please assist me with resetting the MFA authentication methods for:

[[Moderator note: personally identifiable Information removed]@ziondirecthealthcare.com]

so that I can register Microsoft Authenticator on my new iPhone and restore access to my Microsoft 365 administrator account.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

[Moderator note: personally identifiable Information removed]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Chris-D 1,595 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-19T22:27:50.5+00:00

    Hi Dr,

    I hope you're doing well. 

    Thank you for the clear explanation of your situation.

    Based on your description, I recommend contacting Microsoft Support and requesting assistance from the Data Protection team so they can guide you through the tenant ownership verification process and help you recover access to your Microsoft 365 administrator account.

    User's image

    Here are some tips and an example of a prompt to help you navigate the IVR more effectively:  

    (When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)    

    In some regions, the initial interaction may be automated, so here’s a general idea of how the conversation might go to help you prepare:      

    • What kind of problem are you experiencing?         
    • Answer: Authenticator         
    • What products do you use?         
    • Answer: Office 365 for business         
    • Is this for an education or company account?         
    • Answer: For companies         
    • Are you an administrator?         
    • Answer: Yes         
    • Are there any other administrators in your organization?         
    • Answer: No. I am the only admin in my tenant          
    • Do you need a... Service request?          
    • Answer: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me direct to the Data Protection Team.      

    When reaching out to the Data Protection team, please be prepared to provide any requested information, such as: 

    • Tenant name/domain 
    • Affected administrator account 
    • Microsoft 365 subscription details 
    • Proof of tenant/domain ownership, if required 
    • Billing or subscription-related verification information 
    • Any organizational documents requested by the recovery team 

     

    I also recommend calling during business hours. In my experience, it can be difficult to get through to the correct support queue, and automated systems don't always work as expected. If you can't get through on your first try, I suggest trying again later or at a different time. 

      

    I know being locked out of the only admin account can be stressful, but contacting the Data Protection team is the correct path forward in this scenario. 

    I hope these steps help you create a support ticket successfully and move closer to regaining access to your administrator account. While I’m not able to intervene directly, guiding you to the right support team is the most effective help I can provide here.  

    Hope you're able to get this resolved soon.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes" and kindly upvote it. If you have any extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".      

    Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.