Everything on my account is restricted, and even though I’m 19, it treats me like a child.

MR 3zef 0 Reputation points
2026-09-19T07:34:15.3566667+00:00

My Microsoft/Xbox account is being treated as a child account even though I am 19. I cannot send or receive messages, and I cannot access the Family settings to fix it. I need an agent to check my account’s age/parental restrictions.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Family Safety | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Hendrix-V 19,380 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-20T01:10:13.41+00:00

    Hi MR 3zef,

    Thank you for reaching out. I understand how concerning and frustrating it can be when your account is being treated as a child account even though you are 19 years old, especially when it prevents you from using features such as messaging and managing Family settings. The information provided indicates that your Microsoft/Xbox account is currently subject to restrictions typically associated with a child account.

    As a first step, please verify that the date of birth associated with your Microsoft account is correct and review your Microsoft Family Safety settings to confirm whether the account is still linked to a family group. In some cases, account restrictions may continue if the account's age information or family membership status has not updated as expected.

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators, contributors including external Microsoft employees cannot directly intervene in Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited to providing technical guidance on reported issues, requests, or ideas.

    If your date of birth is already correct and the restrictions remain in place, it would be best to contact Microsoft Support so they can review the account status and available options with you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.