. .
I’m locked out of my computer, why do I have to wait 30 days? I need it for school!
Microsoft is bad
30 days is too long when I still have my original device
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
3 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor2026-09-19T02:53:14.4633333+00:00 This 30-day delay is intentional. It’s a security safeguard designed to protect users in case someone else tries to hijack their account by changing recovery info. The wait gives the rightful owner time to notice and stop unauthorized changes.
Unfortunately, this policy cannot be bypassed. Microsoft explains it further here.
-
Bulldog 4,650 Reputation points2026-09-19T02:31:32.71+00:00 The required 30-day delay is to discourage thieves from stealing accounts.
In future, you have many ways to avoid the same fate:
Use a passkey.
Maintain alternative forms of authentication - PIN, password, biometric.
Backup your MFA so you can restore it on a new device.
Backup your account recovery code.