Data Protection/Tenant Recovery

Diana Bernal 5 Reputation points
2026-09-19T00:49:05.33+00:00

I need a Data Protection/Tenant Recovery case for my original Microsoft 365 tenant. I am the sole Global Administrator. My password works and I still have existing Outlook access, but the Authenticator MFA registration is broken. There is no second administrator and no alternate MFA method. I cannot access the Admin Center or Security Info for the affected tenant. I need the MFA methods reset so I can re-register Microsoft Authenticator.

I am using my gmail for this question, but it is my outlook email that is not authenticating. I can't log on to Microsoft (but my email is working).

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Aetherin 2,165 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-19T01:12:45.69+00:00

    Hi @Diana Bernal,

    I’ve read through your description and I understand the situation you're facing.

    Just to gently clarify before going any further, this forum is separate from Microsoft Support. The people responding here are generally fellow users and community members, so we do not have the ability to create, escalate, or directly route support cases on your behalf. However, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

    Based on what you've described, the best next step would be to contact Microsoft Support by phone so that the frontline support team can create a support case and route it to the Data Protection Team (DPT) for tenant recovery and administrator identity verification.

    You can find the correct phone number for your region here: Contact Microsoft customer support

    Here are some tips and an example of a prompt to help you navigate the IVR more effectively:    

    (When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)      

    In some regions, the initial interaction may be automated, so here’s a general idea of how the conversation might go to help you prepare:        

    What kind of problem are you experiencing?           

    Answer: Authenticator           

    What products do you use?           

    Answer: Office 365 for business           

    Is this for an education or company account?           

    Answer: For companies           

    Are you an administrator?           

    Answer: Yes           

    Are there any other administrators in your organization?           

    Answer: No. I am the only admin in my tenant            

    Do you need a... Service request?            

    Answer: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me direct to the Data Protection Teams.        

    During the phone call, you will need to provide the information you have received through your subscription, such as: Your company name, billing information, phone number, alternate email address, etc. Therefore, our privacy team can help you reset your multi-factor authentication, and after the reset, you can add your account back to your authenticator app on your phone and set it up from scratch or choose a different authentication method to log in to your account.  

    I hope this helps point you to the right team, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck with the recovery process.

    Thank you so much for taking the time.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.