set up admin pwd on new computer

Miriam Forbes 20 Reputation points
2026-09-18T22:11:01.9833333+00:00

I have a new computer, during setup it asked me for a user name and password. Which I gave and remember. It also asked me for the computer name which I gave. I can login to my user OK. but when I try to the computer in my local network from another computer it asks me for a password which I don't know what it is. I tried the user password, but no go. Is there a default administrator password as I did not get asked to set one up. or is there no administrator pwd and if so, how do I set it up?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author

AI answer

2026-09-18T22:11:21.1+00:00

There is no supported default Administrator password to use here.

For local accounts, the built-in Administrator account cannot use a blank password as a security rule. On many Windows installations, the built-in Administrator account is also disabled by default. That means the password prompt seen from another PC is not something that can be solved by guessing a default admin password.

For access from another computer on the local network, the simplest supported fix is to either:

  1. Use password-protected sharing with a valid user name and password on the target PC, or
  2. Turn off password-protected sharing on the target PC.

To turn off password-protected sharing on the new computer:

  1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Open Network and Sharing Center.
  3. Select Change advanced sharing settings.
  4. Expand All Networks.
  5. Under Password protected sharing, select Turn off password protected sharing.
  6. Save changes.

If password-protected sharing is left on, people on the network must use a user name and password that exists on the computer hosting the shared folders.

If the goal is specifically to set a password on the built-in Guest account, the documented method is:

  1. Sign in with an administrator account.
  2. Open Command Prompt.
  3. Run:
       net user guest *
    
  4. Enter the password, then enter it again to confirm.

If the goal is to use the built-in Administrator account, note these security points:

  • The built-in Administrator account cannot use a blank password.
  • Best practice is to sign in with a normal local account and use administrative credentials only when needed.

AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Miriam Forbes 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-18T22:18:19.0866667+00:00

    I have turned off password protected sharing and I can now see only the user named default and not not the user name I setup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.