task scheduler asking for password

Joao Maia 0 Reputation points
2026-09-18T19:48:02.7033333+00:00

Hi,

I need to run something on task scheduler to start a program at startup. It is asking for what I assume is my password.

I always login with my pin, and since I am asking this question here with my Microsoft account, I am obviously able to log in on it.

I recently changed my password so I assume the password cached on windows is the old one (which I don't remember), so I signed out n the PC, said I forgot my pin so it would ask for my password. It accepted it, I received an email with a code which I imputed, set up a new pin, and logged in on my PC. Restarted it, but task scheduler still says it's wrong...

Thank you for your help.

Screenshot 2026-09-18 204310

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Ivan B 124.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T20:23:54.17+00:00

    Hi,

    That’s because you configured the task to run even when you aren't logged in, so it needed to save the password for the user account it uses to execute the task.

    Alternatively, you can configure the task to run when you log in, so it starts up at that point.

    User's image

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.