Hacked Microsoft Account — Original Email Says Account Does Not Exist

nejc 0 Reputation points
2026-09-18T18:12:00.8866667+00:00

My Microsoft account was hacked, and I can no longer access it.

The attacker changed my password, and I received Microsoft security emails confirming that the password was changed. They also added an Identity Verification App and a Passkey, and my original Passkey was later deleted.

Now, when I try to sign in using the email address I originally used for the account, Microsoft says:

“The Microsoft account you've entered does not exist.”

Because of this, I cannot change the password and I cannot complete the normal account-recovery process using my original email address.

I still have the original Microsoft security emails showing:

  • The password was changed.
  • There was an unusual sign-in.
  • An Identity Verification App was added.
  • A Passkey was added/deleted.

This is also the Microsoft account I use for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024, so I have information and purchase/account history that may help prove that I am the original owner.

I am looking for help recovering the account. I specifically need to know how I can contact the appropriate Microsoft account-security/recovery team when the account's original email address is no longer recognized.

I can provide screenshots of the Microsoft security emails and other information that can verify that I am the legitimate owner.

I am not asking anyone to bypass Microsoft's security. I just need to know how to get the account into the correct recovery process when the original email address says that the account does not exist.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-18T18:12:25.7666667+00:00

    Use the Microsoft Sign-in Helper first. Microsoft states that if the sign-in shows “We couldn't find an account with that username” or “The Microsoft account you've entered does not exist”, the correct path is the Sign-in Helper tool, which can either provide self-help steps or offer the chance to talk to an agent.

    If the account was hacked, Microsoft’s documented recovery path is:

    1. Run a full malware scan on the PC before changing anything
      • Open Windows Security.
      • Go to Virus and threat protection.
      • Select Scan options > Full scan > Scan now. This is important before attempting password recovery or account changes.
    2. Start the hacked-account recovery flow
      • Use the hacked account recovery tool’s Start option.
      • That tool asks for the email address or phone number and then either shows the right self-help steps or offers contact with an agent.
    3. If the original email now says the account does not exist
      • Use the Sign-in Helper instead of retrying the normal password reset loop.
      • Microsoft specifically directs this error to the Sign-in Helper.
    4. If the account recovery form is still available for the account
      • Complete it from a device and location previously used to sign in to that account, such as the usual home or office device/network.
      • Gather any saved password information first if available.
    5. Important limitation
      • If two-step verification was turned on and there is no access to any alternate verification method, Microsoft states support agents cannot send password reset links or access and change account details.
    6. If help from support is needed
      • Use Contact Microsoft Support and select Get Help, then Contact Support.
      • Microsoft also states that support agents cannot send password reset links or directly change account details, but this is the documented route to reach support when the helper tools do not resolve the issue.

    The security emails, unusual sign-in alerts, and purchase history may be useful during the official recovery process, but the documented entry point when the original address is no longer recognized is the Sign-in Helper and the hacked-account recovery flow.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.