Azure for Students verification fails and Azure Support gives AADSTS50020

MANEESWAR RAJU GADIRAJU 0 Reputation points
2026-09-18T13:49:10.3166667+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support,

I am a full-time 2nd-year [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed] student at [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed], India.

I am trying to activate Azure for Students using my official institutional email address ([Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]@rguktrkv.ac.in). The academic verification is failing even though I am currently enrolled.

When I try to access Azure Support to get assistance, I receive this error:

AADSTS50020: User account from identity provider 'live.com' does not exist in tenant 'Microsoft Services' and cannot access the application 'Microsoft_Azure_SupportPortalExtension'.

I currently don't have an Azure subscription, so I cannot create a normal Azure support request.

Could you please advise how I can get my Azure for Students academic verification reviewed or contact the appropriate Azure Education/Students support team?

I can provide proof of current enrollment through a private support channel if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For education | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Julie Huynh 3,605 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T15:18:07.72+00:00

    Dear @MANEESWAR RAJU GADIRAJU,

    Good day! Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum!

    Based on your description, I understand that you are a currently enrolled student attempting to activate Azure for Students, but your academic verification is failing. Additionally, when trying to contact Azure Support, you receive the AADSTS50020 sign-in error and cannot create a support request because you do not yet have an Azure subscription. You’re looking for assistance with verifying your student status and reaching the appropriate Azure Education support team.

    Please note that this is a community forum where users help each other. I do not have access to student verification systems or the ability to manually approve Azure for Students subscriptions.

    May I ask: When you signed in with your institutional email address, did the academic verification fail immediately, or did you receive a specific error message during the verification process?

    Regarding the AADSTS50020 error, this issue typically occurs when the account being used does not have access to the required Microsoft tenant or Azure Support portal. Since you are unable to create a support request because you do not yet have an Azure subscription, your institution's IT administrator is best positioned to help investigate the issue.

    I recommend contacting your school's IT department and asking them to verify the following:

    • Your institutional email account is active and recognized as an eligible student account
    • There are no tenant or sign-in restrictions affecting access to Microsoft education services
    • Your institution participates in the programs required for Azure for Students eligibility

    If your IT department confirms that your account and enrollment status are valid, they can engage the appropriate Azure for Education support channels on your behalf. As tenant administrators, they have the necessary permissions to work directly with Microsoft to investigate student verification issues that cannot be resolved through self-service registration.

    Therefore, I kindly recommend reaching out to your school's IT administrator as the next step.

    Thank you for your understanding, and I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.