Sole Global Administrator locked out by MFA (Authenticator no longer has the account): need the Data Protection team to recover access or cancel the subscription

Alberto Asensio 0 Reputation points
2026-09-18T11:55:11.9033333+00:00

I am the only Global Administrator of the Microsoft 365 tenant albertoasensio.onmicrosoft.com (admin account [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]@albertoasensio.onmicrosoft.com).

When I sign in, the tenant asks me to verify my identity with the Microsoft Authenticator app, but the account is no longer present in Authenticator, so I receive no notification and no verification code. No other verification method (phone or email) is registered.

Because I am the only administrator, I cannot reset my own MFA, create a Temporary Access Pass, or open a service request from the Microsoft 365 admin center. I called phone support in Spain and they told me the case can only be managed from the admin center, which is exactly what I cannot access.

The subscription in that tenant is paid and still billing. I can prove ownership of the tenant (billing details, alternate contact details, domain verification).

Could you please engage the Data Protection team so they can verify my identity and either reset the MFA methods on my Global Administrator account, or cancel the subscription and close the tenant?

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Jayden-P 3,045 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T11:58:07.0266667+00:00

    Please note that this forum is not Microsoft support, this is a user-to-user support forum. Therefore, I cannot directly escalate this for you. However, I can guide you how to contact Data Protection team.

    Hi @Alberto Asensio

    If you have tried phone support and it's not working, please follow this link to create a trial tenant: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/business/microsoft-365-business-basic?msockid=3eb6980b5c6860e63a588d0c5d1761d6 - after that you will be able to access to Microsoft 365 Admin Center to raise the ticket

    Assuming that you have already created an account after registering a free trial and you can go to Microsoft 365 admin center and click "Help & support" icon to raise your ticket.      

    User's image

    Please mention that you are raising ticket on behalf of the affected tenant that you do not have access to.

    On the other hand, if you do create the trial and it resolves the issue, please remember to cancel the subscription afterward to avoid any related charges. 

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.