Why can't I add a phone number to my microsoft account????!!!!!!!!!

M Awad 0 Reputation points
2026-09-18T10:54:55.3433333+00:00

I was prompted by outlook to check my microsoft account for sign in options. My phone number "needed attention" so I requested to send an SMS. I waited 5 minutes, nothing. So I removed the phone number to add it again because I noticed it didn't have the country code. Just after I removed it, the SMS arrived AND there's literally no way to add any phone number back!!!!!! Like, how can you ruin such a simple concept????

After opening dozens of recent support pages, I found this official guide https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/add-or-change-your-phone-number-5a31a5f8-9c8f-4734-b149-223184ec3461

Only thing is, it doesn't work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User's image

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

3 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-21T04:32:02.45+00:00

    Hi,

    I apologize for the confusion. I had assumed that you could add a phone number, but it won't send a code.

    If you have feedback for Microsoft, please go to https://account.microsoft.com page and click Feedback on the bottom left.


    Standard 3rd party link disclaimer:

    There may be links to non-Microsoft websites that provide accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on websites frequently classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). There is no need to buy paid products to fix your computers, as they sometimes do more harm than good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Hornblower409 16,040 Reputation points
    2026-09-19T08:29:43.13+00:00

    @M Awad said

    there's literally no way to add any phone number back

    Correct. Microsoft has deprecated that ability. If you have an existing number you can keep it, but you can't change it. And if you remove it, you can't add back a new one.

    See the Answer by Hornblower409 Jul 24, 2026" in
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/5899469/having-trouble-adding-phone-number-to-microsoft-ac

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T11:57:12.21+00:00

    Hi,
    Adding a phone number is not working for other users as well, for which I have seen reports since yesterday. Please wait for a day or two, this should get sorted out.

    If you haven't already, please go to https://account.microsoft.com and send feedback in the bottom right. This helps thje team investigate.


    A friendly reminder that this is a user-to-user forum where users help other users. Experts or Advisors participating here cannot make changes to Microsoft services or access internal systems and can only provide technical guidance, irrespective of Microsoft's Policy decisions.

    I hope this information helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Wishing you good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.