How to regain access to an admin account after loosing 2FA

17141138 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T19:32:18.15+00:00

Hello,

I am the sole Global Administrator of a Microsoft 365 tenant and I am currently completely locked out of the tenant.

I know the correct password and I can successfully use the account's alternate recovery email to reset the password. However, I cannot complete MFA during sign-in.

The sign-in page shows:

  • Approve a request on my Microsoft Authenticator app
  • Use a verification code
  • Text to my registered phone number

I no longer have access to the Microsoft Authenticator registration.

The phone number is still registered as an MFA method, but when I select it, Microsoft displays:

"Sorry, we're having trouble verifying your account. Please try again."

This has been happening consistently for approximately 4 days.

I have therefore tried both the Authenticator and SMS verification methods, but neither allows me to complete MFA.

There is no other Global Administrator in this tenant.

Consequently, I cannot access the Microsoft 365 Admin Center or Microsoft Entra admin center to reset/re-register my MFA methods, and I cannot create a normal support request from inside the tenant.

I am able to provide proof of tenant/domain ownership, billing/subscription information, and any other information required for ownership verification.

Could a moderator advise how I can initiate a tenant lockout recovery / Data Protection escalation for the sole Global Administrator, so that my MFA registration can be reset and I can regain access to the tenant?

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Lin v 1,380 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-17T19:52:56.7033333+00:00

    Hi 17141138,

    From what you've shared, this issue is indeed treated as a tenant ownership or administrator access recovery scenario. In such cases, there is no self-service method to regain control, and the only correct path is to request assistance from Microsoft.

    Just to briefly clarify before we go any further, members of the community do not have access to user account settings, and cannot assist with logging in, resetting passwords, changing access rights or directly escalate cases to the Data Protection team. For security and privacy reasons, connecting to the team requires opening a support request.


    To reach support, you can find the number for your region here: Contact support via phone (Work account tab) and request assistance from the Data Protection team, as they are the team responsible for handling account ownership verification and account recovery requests.

    (When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)         

    In some countries, an automated voice system is used. Example of a dialogue:

    • IVR: What problem is bothering you?
    • Client: Lost access to the only admin account
    • IVR: What product do you use?
    • Customer: Office 365 for business
    • IVR: School or Business Account?
    • Client: Companies
    • IVR: Are you an administrator?
    • Client: Yes
    • IVR: Is there another administrator in your organization?
    • Client: No. I am the only admin in my tenant    
    • IVR: Do you need to create a support ticket?
    • Client: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me direct to the Data Protection Teams.

    During the phone call, you will need to provide the information associated with your subscription, such as your company name, billing details, phone number, and an alternate email address, etc. This information allows the Data Protection team to verify your identity and securely assist you in regaining access to your administrator account.     

    I also recommend calling during business hours. In my experience, it can be difficult to get through to the correct support queue, and automated systems don't always work as expected. If you can't get through on your first try, I suggest trying again later or at a different time.

    I hope this points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or updates, please don’t hesitate to share.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.