Account changed using code received in my hotmail account

Ing Ramiro Reynoso 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T16:18:15.3566667+00:00

I have a problem, today i noticed in my email that i received a code to change the password of an account, the problem is that then i received another email updating that password, like someone enter my email, used the code and changed the password.

There isnt a recent activity on my account or a logged device appart of the one im using.

jus recently changed my password,

I have checked my account and i only have one device connected to my hotmail account and it my computer, how can i know how they access my email?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. EmilyS726 269.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-17T20:21:55.7233333+00:00

    Hello.

    Microsoft actually doesn't allow users to use the same email address for the account as security contact. So, if this hotmail.com is the account alias, the security information wouldn't be sent to this email address regarding the same account. Kind of like the emergency contact concept, you cannot list yourself as the emergency contact.

    So what this tells me is - it is about a different Microsoft account. Any chance you might have a different Microsoft account, and you list this hotmail.com address as security contact?

    If you don't have another Microsoft account, chance is some one else lists your hotmail.com as their security contact, typically due to typo if you have a similar email address. That happens. In this case, there's nothing to worry about, nor can you do anything about it.

    If you want to play safe, you can always change your password. Review https://account.live.com > Security > Manage how I sign in, make sure everything listed there is up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Brian Tillman 27,215 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-17T19:25:22.3+00:00

    I'm afraid I can't explain what you saw. You could receive a message if someone tries to change the password, but you shouldn't be able to receive one acknowledging it has changed as long as multifactor authentication is on. Perhaps someone else in the forum can clarify. Sorry I wasn't as much help as I thought I could be.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Brian Tillman 27,215 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-17T17:16:38.26+00:00

    Hi. i'm Brian and I'll try to help.

    Do you have two-factor authentication of passkeys enabled? You should. Log into https://account.live/com/activity to see if there are any successful logins you don't recognize.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.