How do I enable function keys to work properly?

AT 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T14:23:45.8866667+00:00

The top bar of my keyboard doesn't work. The keys are mismatched, essentially. The volume button searches for words on a webpage. The brightness displays seems to reload pages. I can't keep hitting them to determine what they do because they are unpredictable and I've had to rewrite this twice.

I've done all of the basic fixes. I've tried exiting the 'Alternate Function' mode with the FN key, both by pairing it with the escape key and pairing it with the shift key, as I read. Neither worked. I tried updating my keyboard driver; Windows says I already have the best one. I try troubleshooting my keyboard in settings. It says everything is great. I am going crazy over here-I just want to use the buttons on my computer as they were intended. This is a refurbished laptop, but I've had it for about six months and cannot seem to fix it.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-17T15:00:52.76+00:00

    Windows has no control over the actions associated to the function keys (F1 - F12) on your keyboard, that is always controlled by the laptop manufacturer, because the actions vary from laptop to laptop.

    If Fn + Esc does not toggle off the function lock, boot your system into BIOS, then in there search for a setting to toggle between Function keys and Action/Media keys.

    If you are unable to find that setting, I need some information about your laptop model, click your Start Button, then just type msinfo and press Enter, please provide a screenshot of the resulting System Information window.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.