Can access only be used with internet connection

Rob Curtis 20 Reputation points
2026-09-17T13:44:47.7333333+00:00

For years, though I had Access 365, I continued to use Access 2007, because it was familiar and I didn't like the previous update. But I used mainly on my laptop and then that is in for servicing, so I started using 365 on my PC. Yesterday I put to sleep with Access open and today, when I went to it, all the fields had question marks. Ity sdaid I wasn't connected and to close and reopen. I did so and it then looked normal. So, do I no longer own my database, in this version. It is no longer just on my computer and I have to be connected to web? Then I tried to save it with a new date, and it said I didn't have the authority , though I am administrator and only user. Moderator moved from Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Rob Curtis 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-17T14:57:43.4566667+00:00

    Trying to post initially led to a new problem. I needed to sign in to my MS365 account with Godaddy, and when it took me to the sign in page on their site,, I couldn'yt as that screen was replaced by a blank pale green screen within a split second. I called godaddy, and trying different things like incognito window, clearing the edge browser all had the same result when it got to their sign in page. When I tried chrome instead, the sign in page was stable, but adding the info led to copilot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. George Hepworth 23,120 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-17T14:53:57.01+00:00

    I'm going to move this to the Accounts forum because the problem is not in Access, but in the process of logging into your account.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Rob Curtis 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-17T14:48:13.65+00:00

    This led to a new problem when I needed to sign into my account to post here. It took me to a screen to sign into my godaddy account. When I followed up and got that screen to sign in, it lasted less than a second and then was replaced by a blank pale green screen. I called godaddy, and there were other ways to get there, using private window and clearing browser in Edge, but every time I got to the regular sign in page, it immediately disappeared before any chance to sign in. Then tried with Chrome and the original sign in screen did not disappear, and I could actually do the name and password. However that then took me to copilot. This screen only lasts a split second in Edge.

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. George Hepworth 23,120 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-17T14:00:39.98+00:00

    First. Leaving an Access database open when putting your computer to sleep is a bad idea in any event.

    From the description you posted, it sounds like you have an Access Front End connected to a Back End on a network, or to a remotely hosted database. That connection was lost when you left it open overnight. Reopening Access re-established the connection, so all is now functioning as normal.

    So, the question is more relevant to how your database is deployed than whether your computer is connected to the web to use Access 365.

    That said, it is true that Microsoft 365 is reliant on a web connection for things like updates.

    More to the point, though, is understanding how this database is designed and deployed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.