Classic Outlook

Linda A 20 Reputation points
2026-09-17T03:33:59.0066667+00:00

“ I have an existing case [Moderator Note: Personal Info Removed]. On my new Dell PC I can’t get classic Outlook desktop, and my email/folders don’t work. I have an existing personal Microsoft 365 subscription in the US, tied to my personal email . I previously had Microsoft 365 tied to my business email and let that subscription expire. Now I have a new Dell PC, but I cannot get classic Outlook desktop installed, and I can’t use my email or see my old folder structure. I still have my old PC with classic Outlook and a large PST file that held all my email folders and subfolders. The PST was about 49 GB and now appears as about 13.8 GB on the new PC. I need a Microsoft 365 / Outlook expert to connect remotely to my new PC, ensure the correct Microsoft 365 apps (including classic Outlook desktop) are installed, help attach my PST file, and get my email working again.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Chloe-V 13,450 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-09-17T08:03:07.5833333+00:00

Hi @Linda A

Please note that our forum is a public platform, and we will modify your question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data.

I’m sorry you’re having trouble setting up Classic Outlook and accessing your previous email folders on the new Dell PC.

Since your Microsoft 365 Personal subscription is active, please first install Classic Outlook using Microsoft’s official installation guide: Install or reinstall Classic Outlook on a Windows PC.

Before moving the PST file, please keep the original file on the old PC unchanged and create a separate backup copy. Because the original file was approximately 49 GB but the copy on the new PC is only 13.8 GB, the transfer may be incomplete or it may be a different PST file. Please verify the file before using it, and save the working copy in a local folder rather than OneDrive.

After Classic Outlook is installed, select File > Open & Export > Open Outlook Data File, then choose the copied PST file. If Outlook cannot open the file or folder structure, use the Inbox Repair Tool, SCANPST.EXE, on the copied file.

Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators, contributors including external Microsoft employees cannot directly intervene in Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited to providing technical guidance on reported issues, requests, or ideas only.

Since you already have a case number and require remote assistance, please contact Microsoft Support, provide your case number, and ask to continue with the Microsoft 365 or Outlook support team.

Thank you for your understanding. 


Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

2 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Linda A 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-17T03:35:45.3033333+00:00

    Accepted draft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Linda A 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-17T03:36:35.96+00:00

    Accepted with care

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.