How to resolve removing self from Groups that I didn't add or create?

Rob K 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T20:17:46.86+00:00

Somehow, I ended up being added to about 30 different Groups in Outlook. Names I had never seen before. All but two, I was able to "Leave the Group." The last two, though, required Microsoft tech support. After taking control of my screen, the tech gave me a case number and said the two Groups would eventually disappear. And then, [Moderator Note: Personal Info Removed] closed the case.

Well, two weeks later, those two Groups are still there. While I understand that Microsoft technical support fields a myriad of questions that can usually be compartmentalized and dealt with through automation, I think this issue is rather unique. As such, the regular search tree for obtaining support does not work for this problem.

I believe this a back-end Microsoft issue that has to be resolved at their level, not the user level.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Chloe-V 13,450 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-17T03:31:52.8766667+00:00

    Hi @Rob K

    Please note that our forum is a public platform, and we will modify your question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data.

    I’m sorry you have been left going in circles, especially after most of the groups were removed and the remaining two were expected to disappear.

    Because around 30 unfamiliar groups appeared without your involvement, I recommend reviewing your Microsoft account’s Recent activity first. If you find a sign-in you do not recognize, select This wasn’t me, secure the account, and change the password. Microsoft also recommends reviewing the account’s security settings when unauthorized access is suspected. Review recent account activity

    For the support sign-in loop, try opening the support page in an InPrivate or Incognito window and make sure only the affected Microsoft account is signed in.

    Since a support agent previously investigated the issue and gave you a case number, please contact Microsoft Support again and provide that case number. Ask the new agent to review the previous case notes and reopen or escalate the issue, explaining that the two Groups have still not disappeared.

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators, contributors including external Microsoft employees cannot directly intervene in Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited to providing technical guidance on reported issues, requests, or ideas only.

    Thank you for your understanding. 


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.