My Personal laptop has recently started showing "managed by your organization" This should not be happening

Shellie Foster 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T19:57:19.7766667+00:00

I recently bought a Microsoft Office License with Key but could not install. I took my laptop on vacation for 2 weeks over Labor Day and when I got back I could not access Microsoft free on the Web, or my normal microsoft account. I bought the License but cant install it. It seems in the timframe I was gone somehow my machibe is "being managed by my organization" I have been retired for over 3 years and to my knowledge never used this laptopn for work. We werent allowed to use personal equipment. I believe this is blocking me from installing my new license key. I have literally tried EVERY fix the internet has suggested. I even tried a complete factory reset, but it failed to finish and reset. I need some guidance please, otherwise I have wasted my money on this license. *Note: I can, however, sign up for an annual or monthly Microsoft Ooffice Account through an account that I pay for basic storage etc. So weird. I prefer to use the license I just purchased versus the monthly fee. I am open to someone even remoting in with me to fix this issue. The clock is ticking on using my product key!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-16T19:57:42.04+00:00

    A personal laptop can show managed by your organization if a work or school account was connected to Windows under Settings > Accounts > Access work or school. That can apply organization policies to the device and can interfere with sign-in behavior.

    Try this in order:

    1. Check for a connected work or school account
      • Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school.
      • If an old work or school account appears there, select it and choose Disconnect.
      • Restart the laptop.
    2. Clear old Microsoft 365 sign-in information
      • Sign out of all Office apps, then close them.
      • Open Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager.
      • In Windows Credentials and Generic Credentials, remove entries related to Microsoft 365 or the old organizational account.
      • Restart the laptop.
    3. If Office still behaves as if the old organization is attached
      • Close Office apps.
      • In File Explorer, go to: %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy
      • Delete the files and folders there.
      • Clear the browser cache.
      • Restart the laptop.
    4. Use the correct install path for the license type
      • If the product key is for a home Office or Microsoft 365 product, redeem it first at https://microsoft365.com/setup using the Microsoft account that will own the license.
      • After redemption, sign in with that same Microsoft account to install or reinstall Office.
    5. If the key says it was already used
      • That usually means the key was already redeemed and added to a Microsoft account.
      • In that case, install Office by signing in with the Microsoft account that redeemed the key rather than entering the key again.
    6. If the Office product was preinstalled and did not require a Microsoft account originally
      • Some preinstalled Office products must be reinstalled from the Microsoft Store app instead of by product key redemption.
    7. If the reset still fails or the device remains organization-managed
      • Contact Microsoft support. The install and activation articles explicitly point to Microsoft support when the problem cannot be resolved.

    Important: avoid registry-deletion fixes from random internet posts unless a trusted Microsoft article specifically requires them. Those steps can damage Windows configuration.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.