File renaming not sticking

Murphy, Debbie 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T18:08:11.3733333+00:00

I'm trying to rename certain files in all caps and it will not stick - why? This never used to be a problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

5 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Murphy, Debbie 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-16T18:15:46.15+00:00

    I cannot rename my files in Outlook to all caps - it keeps reverting back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Brian Tillman 27,215 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-16T19:53:00.13+00:00

    Hi. I'm Brian and I'll try to help. File names are not case-sensitive and Outlook is not a file system and therefore does not contain files. You can rename files in File Explorer, but Outlook contains no files. Are you actually talking about OneDrive, the topic of this forum? If so, then to accomplish what you want will probably take two steps. First, rename the file to another else that's different. For example, rename the file "xyz.dat" to "x.dat" and then rename that file to "XYZ.dat" (or "XYZ.DAT", if you prefer). This should accomplish what you wish.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Brian Tillman 27,215 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-16T22:03:41.83+00:00

    Do you want the folder to be under your Inbox or somewhere else, like at the same level as Inbox? Which Outlook are you using - classic or new?

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Brian Tillman 27,215 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-17T15:42:37.0666667+00:00

    Try renaming them as I suggested. Rename to something that's one letter long, then rename again with all caps. Try using all caps the next time you create one. Let me know how that works out.

    Was this answer helpful?


  5. Brian Tillman 27,215 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-17T19:22:38.83+00:00

    I'm glad it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.