Need help on escalated ticket regarding account recovery

magsh112 5 Reputation points
2026-09-16T16:32:40.02+00:00

My son's microsoft account was hacked several weeks ago while he was playing Minecraft. The hacker immediately changed the primary email address, so my son has no chance to even attempt logging back in b/c there's no account now associated with his email address. I was able to get the account locked within an hour, which is good, but I'm nearly a month into the recovery attempt process and continue to hit frustrating walls. I've had two case numbers that were both auto-closed despite my providing all requested info each time. I was finally able to get someone in the Xbox support chat to verify case escalation and give me a new case number, but this was mid last week and I was told to follow up after 72 hours if I didn't hear anything. I haven't heard anything, and now can't get a live person on a chat, let alone find a phone number to call for support. What should I do next? Update: I discovered today that the hacker's active profile still shows on my Microsoft Family account, which I feel like is even more evidence to get my son his account back.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | Other | Other

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. magsh112 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-21T14:11:43.3366667+00:00

    I'm not sure how, but I finally got someone from Microsoft to email me asking for further evidence. I've given them multiple screenshots, receipts, passwords, timelines, etc, to prove the account is my son's. I've filled out three separate reports. I'm hopeful this latest email I sent does the trick, but who knows. We're closing in on a month now...

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Ian-T 12,735 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-16T23:37:46.2+00:00

    Hi @magsh112

    I'm sorry your family has been dealing with this for so long. Losing access to an account after it is compromised, especially when it belongs to a child and contains purchased content, can be extremely stressful.

    Based on what you've described, it sounds like you've already completed the steps that forum contributors would normally recommend: reporting the compromise promptly, having the account locked, providing ownership information, and obtaining an escalated support case. Unfortunately, account recovery and ownership verification are handled only by Microsoft's account recovery specialists, and neither the forum members nor moderators have access to the tools needed to review or reopen those investigations.

    The fact that the profile still appears in your Microsoft Family group may help support verify the account's history, so I would keep screenshots of that information available in case the recovery team requests additional evidence.

    Since you already have an active escalated case number, the best course of action is to continue following up through the same support channel rather than opening additional recovery requests, as multiple cases can sometimes make it harder to track the investigation. If the case was confirmed as escalated and you have not received any updates, contact Microsoft Support again and provide the existing case number so they can check the status of that specific escalation.

    Thank you so much for your understanding and time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.