Problem signing into business email account (linked to my personal O365) due to Microsoft Authenticator Issue

Katie O'Connor 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T15:50:09.65+00:00

I have an O365 account (which I have used to sign in for this Q&A) with a personal email. All works fine with the Microsoft Authenticator App. I am having issues with my business email account. In the Authenticator app it is called "Microsoft Entra ID" as I could only set up a work / office account for this purpose. The specific issue is not having a one time pass code for this Microsoft Entra ID account and I cannot sign into anything related to that email account without being asked to verify via Microsoft Authenticator App, including potential reset of MFA Registration in the admin centre - if this is even the issue. I have also tried with using an-other authenticator app.

I've spent the last 8 hours trying to understand and fix using online services, and bot phone services to no avail. This is critical for my business as I cannot access my email.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ivory 1,585 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-16T16:25:07.7533333+00:00

    Hi Katie,

    Based on what you've described, the next steps will depend on whether there are other administrators in your organization who can access the tenant.

    If another administrator is available, I'd recommend contacting them and asking if they can reset the MFA settings for the affected account through the Microsoft Entra admin center. This is usually the quickest way to regain access.

    For reference: Manage authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication - Microsoft Entra ID | …

    If you're the only administrator and you've been locked out of the account, you'll need to contact Microsoft's Data Protection team for assistance. They are the only team authorized to help recover access in situations involving the sole administrator account.

    When reaching out to Microsoft's support numbers through Contact Microsoft customer support | Microsoft Support

    You can try these tips for navigating the IVR: 

    In some countries, an automated voice system is used. Example of a dialogue:

    • IVR: What problem is bothering you?
    • Client: Lost access to the only admin account
    • IVR: What product do you use?
    • Customer: Office 365 for business
    • IVR: School or Business Account?
    • Client: Companies
    • IVR: Are you an administrator?
    • Client: Yes
    • IVR: Is there another administrator in your organization?
    • Client: No. I am the only admin in my tenant    
    • IVR: Do you need to create a support ticket?
    • Client: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me direct to the Data Protection Teams.

    When contacting Microsoft, be prepared to verify ownership of the subscription. You may be asked for information such as:

    • Organization name
    • Billing or payment information
    • Registered phone number
    • Alternate email address

    Once your identity is verified, the privacy team will be able to reset your MFA settings. You can then reset your account in the Microsoft Authenticator app on your new device or choose a different authentication method to sign in.

    I also recommend calling during business hours. In my experience, it can be difficult to get through to the correct support queue, and automated systems don't always work as expected. If you can't get through on your first try, I suggest trying again later or at a different time.

    In case you are unable to contact the frontline support through phone:

    Consider signing up for a trial subscription to create a new tenant. Once set up, you can access the new tenant's admin console and submit a support ticket to speak with the data protection team on behalf of the previous tenant. Once your issue is resolved, please remember to cancel the trial subscription to avoid any unintended charges.

    If your organization's subscription is from a partner or reseller: Contact the reseller's support provider to help open a service request on behalf of you instead.

    I hope this helps point you in the right direction. If you have any updates or additional questions, feel free to reply back and I'll do my best to assist further.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.