File History stopped working after a recent update

Carolyn Kay 45 Reputation points
2026-09-16T15:44:35.91+00:00

And now I can't get it to work. I've done all the things suggested, including creating a new directory on several drives and deleting the File History configuration on my computer. File History will let me select the new location, turn the application on, and run it, but it keeps telling me "Reconnect your drive."

This is SO frustrating.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Answer accepted by question author
ApexNáV 370 Reputation points
2026-09-16T16:23:13.99+00:00

You will likely need to uninstall KB5124008 update to fix the issue that it causes. The KB5124008 update fixes a large number of vulnerabilities, including actively exploited zero‑days. Uninstalling it significantly reduces your security posture, so you should only uninstall it if File History (or other critical features) doesn't work and you need them. Here are the release notes: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/servicing/os/windows-11/2026/09/kb5124008-windows-11-24h2-25h2-security-update

In case you want to uninstall:

  1. Open Settings > Windows Update > Update history > Uninstall updates.
  2. Uninstall KB5124008
  3. Pause Windows Update so it doesn’t get reinstalled, and resume it later when Microsoft has fixed it in an upcoming update.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.

7 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. stefan jurovcik 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T19:42:35.44+00:00

    U mňa ten istý problém.Mám Windows 11 Home verzia 25H2.Už mám dostupnú aktualizáciu vo Windows update na 26H2.Skúsim stiahnuť,nainštalovať a uvidím

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Peter LaBounty 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-23T17:38:38.35+00:00

    File History started working for me again, after Update KB5124010.

    The same thing had happened to me. I even uninstalled the update that caused the problem and still couldn't get File History to work.

    File History took longer to run this time. I am assuming the longer runtime this morning was because it copied all the files I have marked, instead of just the files updated since the last time I was able to run File History successfully, before Update KB5124008.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-22T17:46:44.23+00:00

    Fixed with the Optional update released on 22nd September.

    https://yourwindowsguide.com/2026/09/file-history-not-working-after-september-update.html

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/servicing/os/windows-11/2026/09/kb5124010-windows-11-24h2-25h2-update

    [File History] This update addresses an issue where File History might fail to back up or restore files to an external drive or network location. Affected devices might incorrectly display a “Reconnect your drive” message even when a compatible backup drive is connected and working properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  4. Carolyn Kay 45 Reputation points
    2026-09-16T17:00:39.4666667+00:00

    I tried most of the suggestions in the AI answer, and they didn't work.

    I'm guessing that I'll have to take DaveM121's suggestion and keep trying again every time there's an update.

    :-(

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.