Sole Global Administrator locked out due to MFA / Microsoft Authenticator – Tenant Recovery required

MCP Germany 20 Reputation points
2026-09-16T15:09:20.97+00:00

Hello,

I am the sole Global Administrator of a Microsoft 365 Business tenant and I am completely locked out due to an MFA / Microsoft Authenticator issue.

My password is correct and accepted. However, after entering the password, Microsoft only offers the following verification methods:

  • Approve a request in Microsoft Authenticator
  • Use a verification code from Microsoft Authenticator

The Authenticator registration for the Global Administrator account is no longer functional. When I try to access the account in Microsoft Authenticator, I am asked to sign in again. That sign-in then requires approval through the same Authenticator app, creating an authentication loop.

There are no alternative MFA methods available such as SMS, phone call or another authentication method.

I am the only Global Administrator in the tenant, so there is no second administrator who can reset or re-register my MFA methods.

I therefore cannot access either the Microsoft 365 Admin Center or the Microsoft Entra Admin Center and cannot create a normal support request.

I have also tried contacting Microsoft telephone support multiple times, but the automated phone system terminates the call before I can reach an agent.

This is a Sole Global Administrator / Tenant Lockout caused by lost MFA access.

Could a Microsoft moderator please contact me via Private Message and help escalate this case to the appropriate Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team?

I can provide privately:

  • The exact Microsoft 365 tenant name (*.onmicrosoft.com)
  • The affected Global Administrator account
  • The associated custom company domain
  • DNS ownership verification for our company domain
  • Microsoft 365 subscription, billing information and invoices
  • Company information and proof of ownership
  • Any additional verification information required by Microsoft

Please do not redirect me to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center, because access to the Admin Center is the actual problem.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other

Answer accepted by question author
Jay1 Tran 1,380 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-16T15:47:58.3233333+00:00

Hi MCP Germany,

I hope you're doing well.

I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re currently unable to sign in. Since your account is the only admin account and you still cannot reach a live agent when calling your regional hotline, there is still a workaround, you might consider registering for a new tenant by signing up for a trial subscription.

To set up a new tenant, please follow these steps:

This would allow you to create a new tenant following the prompts provided. Once set up, you can access the admin console of the new tenant and submit a support ticket requesting to speak with the Data Protection team on behalf of your previous tenant.

  • Follow the guided setup process to create a new account for a new tenant.
  • Once your tenant is created, you should be able to access the support portal and submit your ticket referencing your locked account without further issues.
  • In your ticket description, you'll need to clearly explain that you're trying to regain access to your previous Microsoft 365 tenant and need help from the Data Protection team. Here's a message you can use or adapt:

"Hello, I’m currently unable to access my previous Microsoft 365 tenant due to losing MFA access, which prevents me from receiving verification codes. I’m the global admin, but I’m locked out and unable to generate a QR code or bypass MFA.

I created this new tenant solely to request assistance. I kindly ask to be connected with the Data Protection team to verify my identity and help me recover access to the original tenant.

This is urgent, as I rely on Microsoft 365 for my work and have been unable to operate for several days. I’m available to provide any documentation or verification needed to support the recovery process."

Ticket Support: In the Microsoft 365 Admin Center > Support > Help & Support.

Please remember to cancel the trial subscription after your issue is resolved, as this will help you avoid any accidental billing. You may prefer the following resource for detailed instructions: Cancel your Microsoft business subscription in the Microsoft 365 admin center | Microsoft Learn

I hope this helps you regain access to your account quickly. I'm glad to assist and truly hope the information provided has been useful. Please feel free to reach out anytime if you need further assistance.

If you find my post helpful, kindly consider marking it as the accepted answer. Doing so can assist others in the community who may have similar questions in finding solutions more quickly.

Thank you for your kindness and contributions to the forum.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.