I keep getting the message "The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140 was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

Teresa Webre-Asbar 20 Reputation points
2026-09-16T13:30:15.0033333+00:00

I need to reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015-2022

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
David-M 126.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-16T14:09:43.21+00:00

Hi. I'm David, and I'm happy to help you.


You are completely on the right track. The Visual C++ Redistributable v14 is actually the exact official package for Visual Studio 2015–2022 (Microsoft uses "v14" as the underlying version name for this entire range, which contains the missing VCRUNTIME140.dll).

Download from the links below. I suggest you install both the x86 and x64 versions.

x86: https://aka.ms/vc14/vc_redist.x86.exe

x64: https://aka.ms/vc14/vc_redist.x64.exe

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist

  • Note: If you encounter any errors while trying to install any of the versions, or if the error persists, please let me know. In rare cases, you might need to perform a quick cleanup of existing installations first.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.