Sole Global Administrator locked out — MFA Error 399287 — Phone Reputation block

Inna Steinberg 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T09:33:21.5366667+00:00

Hello,

I am the sole Global Administrator of my Microsoft 365 tenant and I am completely locked out due to MFA Error 399287.

My username and password are accepted successfully, but SMS verification fails and no verification code is received.

There is no other Global Administrator in the tenant and I have no alternative MFA method available.

Technical details:

Error Code: 399287 Request ID: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed] Correlation ID: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed] Timestamp: 2026-09-16T08:32:44Z

Based on other cases with Error 399287, this appears to be a Phone Reputation / Bad Reputation backend block.

I am requesting escalation to the Microsoft engineering team to:

  1. Remove the Phone Reputation / Bad Reputation block from my registered SMS number, OR
  2. Reset the MFA configuration on my account so I can register a new authentication method.

I am the sole Global Administrator, so I cannot ask another administrator to reset my MFA.

Please contact me via Private Message so I can securely provide my administrator email address, Tenant ID, registered phone number, country code and country.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Alina Le 5,415 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-16T09:54:35.2366667+00:00

    Hello Inna,

    While waiting for the appropriate assistance, you can try the methods I provided to reach out to the Microsoft Data Protection team for further support with removing the bad reputation and resetting your account.

    (As I am not authorized to support you directly, I can only provide you with all the information I have available.)

    1/ Contacting Microsoft Data Protection team by phone support

    In this situation, the Microsoft Data Protection team has tools and processes in place to verify identity and regain access to administrator accounts.     

    Therefore, if you are the only administrator in your organization, then you need to involve Microsoft data protection team. Please try to find the related hotline number to call the frontline let them raise a ticket for you: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support

    If you can use English, you may prefer these numbers:

    copyImage

    copyImage

    (Important Note: Depending on your country or region, when you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)

    In some countries, this is an automated conversation: First, when you call the hotline, they will ask you what kind of problem you are struggling with.

    Answer: Authenticator.

    A: What products do you use?

    B: Office 365 for business.

    Verification: Education or company account?

    B: For companies

    A: Are you an administrator?

    B: Yes.

    A: Are there any other administrators in your organization?

    B: No.

    A: I need one.... Service request?

    B: Yes  

    If your organization's Office 365 Business subscription is from a partner or reseller, and the global administrator is unable to open a service request on your end, contact the reseller's support provider to help open a service request on behalf of you instead.

    Please try "2 or 3"times until you can reach out to an agent.

    2/ Another work around

    If you still cannot reach to agent, there is still a workaround, you might consider registering for a new tenant by signing up for a trial subscription. This would allow you to create a new tenant following the prompts provided. Once set up, you can access the admin console of the new tenant and submit a support ticket requesting to speak with the Data Protection team on behalf of your previous tenant.   

    For detailed guidance, to set up a new tenant, please follow these steps:    

    copyImage copyImage

    Once your tenant is created, you should be able to access the support portal and submit your ticket without further issues 

    Ticket Support: In the Microsoft 365 Admin Center->Support->Help & Support. You can raise support ticket In Microsoft Admin Center by this link:

    https://admin.microsoft.com/#/support/requests 

    copyImage

    copyImage copyImage

    copyImage

    Tips: You can switch off the Support Assistant as shown in the screenshot, then type "Contact Support" into the search box and select "Contact Support" or the "earphone symbol" above..

    • Choose "Phone" support and fill all the details of this issue.
    • Click "Contact me"

    After completing them, you will receive an email appointment for a meeting to review this issue professionally together.

    *Please remember to cancel the trial subscription once your issue is resolved to avoid any unintended charges.   

    Wish you all the best!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.